• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Right to die, how does CUK vote?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right to die, how does CUK vote?

BBC News - Man takes up Tony Nicklinson right-to-die legal fight

Wondered what esteemed (and less esteemed) CUKkers think about this issue? I imagine the majority would support his desire but let's have a poll.

Personally, I am on the fence on this one though I don't take the stereotypical Christian view that "suicide is a mortal sin" or any guff like that.
    Yes
    78.57%
    No
    14.29%
    I can't decide
    7.14%
    AndyW should not be allowed to ever ever die
    0.00%
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

In principle it’s a sound idea,

My only concern would be for the venerable / vulnerable who could be manipulated in to saying that they want to go (so someone would get an inheritance I fear)
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

My only concern would be for the venerable / vulnerable who could be manipulated in to saying that they want to go (so someone would get an inheritance I fear)
      That could happen and possibly does happen already, without 'right to die' legislation. It probably just happens in a less humane fashion.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

WHJS+1
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          That could happen and possibly does happen already, without 'right to die' legislation. It probably just happens in a less humane fashion.
          Yes, but the pressure would be greater also would you be able find a suitable doctor to carry this out without them being some sort of ghoul or would they be forced to so against their beliefs. It really is an area fraught with moral and highly likely abusive concerns. The law at the moment is compassionate with genuine cases where a loved one has helped someone to die.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

WSS
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I think you should do it d000hg, no doubt at all in my mind

Comment

In theory I am for it but in practice I am not sure how it could be implemented to aviod the issues above.
                "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I noticed with some sadness that the BBC have managed to fill the 'right to die story mule' position again since the last one shuffled off this mortal coil .

Sadly that means endless media led discussions with lots of 'keeping it in the public arena', 'open and frank discussions' and 'raising awareness'.

Same as the gay marriage the BBC News folk just keep dribbling on about it until they get what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                    Yes, but the pressure would be greater also would you be able find a suitable doctor to carry this out without them being some sort of ghoul or would they be forced to so against their beliefs. It really is an area fraught with moral and highly likely abusive concerns. The law at the moment is compassionate with genuine cases where a loved one has helped someone to die.
                    I understand the concern, the thing is, you could also argue that if the job is done by doctors in conjunction with psychologists and the family, as it is here in NL, the patient actually has more protection against predatory relatives than without the 'right to die'; people expressing the wish to die don't just turn up at a suicide shop, pay their bill and then get a lethal injection; they go through a number of interviews and receive counseling from various professionals to minimise the chance of abuse. One thing that doctors concentrate on is this aspect of people being influenced by their families, and especially where there's a big inheritance involved you can expect the doctors to ask very critical questions. Doctors here are not forced to cooperate in euthanasia (I don't think it's strictly legal, but tolerated in some cases) and neither are nurses. There is plenty of room for the conscience of the individual in these cases.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X