• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PI Insurance Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PI Insurance Advice

Hi and congrats on a great site

I've come over from Australia and have now landed my first contract, starting on Monday. The info I've dug up so far indicates that I should take out some PI cover, particularly as I'm doing sole redevelopment on a fairly critical component of the company's system.

Would the panel recommend taking out cover, and for what amount? I was considering taking out a policy providing up to 1 million pounds cover.

Any advice appreciated.

Originally posted by ash
    Hi and congrats on a great site

I've come over from Australia and have now landed my first contract, starting on Monday. The info I've dug up so far indicates that I should take out some PI cover, particularly as I'm doing sole redevelopment on a fairly critical component of the company's system.

Would the panel recommend taking out cover, and for what amount? I was considering taking out a policy providing up to 1 million pounds cover.

Any advice appreciated.
    I think that £1M individual cover will cost about £500 where as £100K individual cover with access to aa shared pot of £1M will cost about £200.

I haven't heard of any individual ever having to claim as the client would have to proove financial loss as a direct result of you work. Although I understand that some clients insist on it.

These are just my observations and IANAL.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Join the PCG & get it cheaper...

Think that was through PCG.

Comment

I will look into joining PCG, thanks for the tip.

As for whether I should take out insurance or not, do most of you only take out individual cover if the client mandates it? I am currently contracted through an umbrella company (administered by Churchill Knight) until my HSMP visa comes through, after which I will be converting to my own Ltd Company (administered by Churchill Knight). The umbrella company does not have PI cover.

I agree it may be difficult for a client to make and prove any claim against me that I was the sole cause of damages, but I don't know how often that sort of case happens - if ever at all. As always with insurance, I guess it's a matter of assessing the likelihood of needing it.

Comment

Originally posted by ash
          As always with insurance, I guess it's a matter of assessing the likelihood of needing it.
          I think you've answered your own question really. I don't know anyone whose house has burnt down but everyone I know has building insurance.

For the sake of a tax detuctable expense of £200 it's a pretty simple decision.

HTH

Comment

Working...
          X