• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Executive Decisions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Executive Decisions

Classic. I've been asked to go to an audit committee with the exectuve sponsor to justify the rather expensive internal development project I'm now in charge of which had already failed twice last year before it was passed to me.

The committee want to know the reasons for the project. What improvements it will make? What manual processes it replaces? What are the cost savings? What is the ROI? Why is it taking so long?

Before the project started I recommended buying in another product that did everything plus more than we wanted. It was half the price & I recommended that I thought the present project was unachieveable on the platform they wanted and they really needed a replacement. I was told that, that was out of the question & the entire team was instructed to go ahead as they'd already tried twice and spent a lot of money.

I'm now expected to go and justify it? What should I say?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Tell them to can it and buy the package you recommended.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Tell them to can it and buy the package you recommended.
      I have been instructed to justify it. I'm thinking I may just calculate the cost savings to less than buying the product & then look confusedly at the sponsor.

Comment

I have been instructed to justify it. I'm thinking I may just calculate the cost savings to less than buying the product & then look confusedly at the sponsor.
        **** it, go contracting again. Too much of that management wank is bad for your health.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Just give 'em the figures. Add a contingency where the permies have to work a 24 hour day to (possibly) make it happen. Waffle on about risking staff retention, associated expense etc
          Or is it possible to lamp someone and run for it?
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Classic. I've been asked to go to an audit committee with the exectuve sponsor to justify the rather expensive internal development project I'm now in charge of which had already failed twice last year before it was passed to me.

The committee want to know the reasons for the project. What improvements it will make? What manual processes it replaces? What are the cost savings? What is the ROI? Why is it taking so long?

Before the project started I recommended buying in another product that did everything plus more than we wanted. It was half the price & I recommended that I thought the present project was unachieveable on the platform they wanted and they really needed a replacement. I was told that, that was out of the question & the entire team was instructed to go ahead as they'd already tried twice and spent a lot of money.

Feck me your job is dull and tedious.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

take in a silver dollar.

toss it and shout 'heads or tails'
              toss it again

then say 'look guys, whats the chances of three on the trot ? this time it's gotta work'

then fall to your knees and sob like a girl
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                take in a silver dollar.

toss it and shout 'heads or tails'
                toss it again

then say 'look guys, whats the chances of three on the trot ? this time it's gotta work'

then fall to your knees and sob like a girl
                That's the winner.

Comment

Working...
                X