• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greek Islands

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greek Islands

So there am I, benched, thinking if I get a contract I'd like to squeeze a week in somewhere in Greece before I get started. I went to the quiet bit of Crete once and that was OK-ish. Anyway I takes a look, money not really an issue and there are about a million islands to choose from.

Is there a sort of upper middle class Greek island, with nice restaurants, peace and quiet, decent beaches (or a hotel with a pool) and no kids?
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Lesbos. No kids anyway, dunno about the rest of yer requirements...

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
      He wanted to know about the island, not the occupants

Comment

yep

aka Mytlene

it's quite near Turkey, very hot and relatively unspoiled
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

What about the one off Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Kefallonia i think? I've never been, but it looked nice.

Apparently there are 227 inhabited greek islands. HTH

Comment

I had a pleasant trip to Santorini and then on to Crete.

I did manage to catch both when they were relatively free of tourist trappings and hotels and unspolit though. That was in the seventies and I dunno what they are like now.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

See
              Greece's best luxury hotels and villas - Telegraph

Lovely hotel on Santorini (website has sound)
              Santorini Boutique Hotels | Luxury Hotel Imerovigli | Grace Santorini

Make me wish I was going on hols soon

Comment

Apparently there are 227 inhabited greek islands. HTH
                Yes, hence my question...

Thanks for the recommendations. Santorini looks nice.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Don't forget not all the islands have a harbour/jetty, sometimes the shallow waters mean you have to anchor the yacht quite far out and use a dinghy.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    Yes, hence my question...

Thanks for the recommendations. Santorini looks nice.
                    I did the Island hopping on "Flying Dolphin" small, fast ferry service.
                    Did the trip Rhodes to Pythagorion on Samos stopping on different islands on the way including Patmos.
                    Day trip to Ephesus in Turkey.
                    Return to Rhodes via different Islands. Sorry don't remember the names, but took about 3 weeks but could have stayed longer.
                    Pack light, rucksack or canvas bag.
                    You will be met at port by B&B owners, so just book hotels for begining and end of trip.
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X