• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Roc-search - pointless waste of time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got a phone call from Roc-Search - sounded like he was in a pub - very stupid sounding man - kept me on the phone for ten minutes about a "job" for a bank in liverpool street - then at the end pulled the old "they need references before they will interview you" - was getting annoyed at being lied to so said to email me. He tried to lie his way out of this - but I wasnt having it

Got home - found an empty email apart from subject line saying "send me your references"

Decided to spin it out - sent one back saying send me the job spec - guess what - no reply!

You need to realise you can have fun with this.

For example you can send them the mobile phone number of someone who can act as a real reference. This person can then have fun winding the pimp up by telling them outragous stories of the staff they need.

Alternatlively you can give him names over the phone. They can either be realistic or they can be made up like the Simpsons.

However if you feel like being really mean slam the phone down on them when they ask for references If you are lucky they will ring you back claiming they were cut off so you can slam the phone down on them again.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Sounds like they're on a roll today.
      Also had a call from Roc's noisy call centre / boozer.
      Some spurious high level talk about the "opportunity" to which I gave equally high level answers.
      The guy even said "so now I've read your CV I can see you're a good fit".... I can put you forward.
      "Who's the client?"
      "I can't disclose at this stage"
      "I need two refs, to submit your ap"
      "sorry I only give refs to clients direct at interview and I've never been asked by a client"
      "I can't submit you then"
      "ok no problem"
      "I can't submit you without two references"
      "yes no problem"
      ....click.

Comment

Normally I don't comment / stick up for other companies, but I happen to know the owner of Roc-Search. He is a decent guy who runs a straight company.
        https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Then it appears that he needs to have a word with the chap running the agents.

And invest in a bit of sound-proofing...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've been spammed on my clients email by this lot for the last 6 months asking me to place staff for them. Even though on each occasion I've told them I'm a contractor with NO responsibility for hiring.
            Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              You need to realise you can have fun with this.

For example you can send them the mobile phone number of someone who can act as a real reference. This person can then have fun winding the pimp up by telling them outragous stories of the staff they need.

Alternatlively you can give him names over the phone. They can either be realistic or they can be made up like the Simpsons.

However if you feel like being really mean slam the phone down on them when they ask for references If you are lucky they will ring you back claiming they were cut off so you can slam the phone down on them again.
              If only I had thought of this!!! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                Normally I don't comment / stick up for other companies, but I happen to know the owner of Roc-Search. He is a decent guy who runs a straight company.
                Was it you on the phone?

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                  ....click.
                  This^

Works every time.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

I give CUK as my reference - I point out that every man jack of the posters on here would back me ... I hope to watch them all cut each other's throats as they try to pinch the gig off me.
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                    X