• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Building works, Nothing ever goes smoothly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building works, Nothing ever goes smoothly

<rant>
    So our ancient (1903) boundary wall was leaning out onto the pavement a tad, so we decided to get it taken down and rebuilt.

We asked the builder to erect some hoarding for security at the rear/side of our house.

The labourers worked hard and most of the 25m wall is down in a day.

Hoarding goes up overnight on the edge of the pavement.

Next day council inspector turns up and issues "us" with a £1300 set of fees, for a licence, inspection and deposit, because we are encroaching onto the pavement by .5m.

Builder is claiming ignorance, and saying is the owners responsibility to apply for licences, although he never mentioned this before! WTF

I'm a programmer not a builder why would I know anything about council hoarding licence requirements.

Now that a lot of the rubble has been cleared the hoarding has been moved off the pavement and within my boundary.

Inspector due out to check again today, for another jolly little fee no doubt.

</rant>

madmadmadmad
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Don't pay. tell them to f off.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Sounds a bit jobsworth - any chance of appeal?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Builder has told me not to pay at the moment and see what happens.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Sounds a bit jobsworth - any chance of appeal?
        Who knows will try and have a word with the inspector when he comes around later.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
          Builder has told me not to pay at the moment and see what happens.

Who knows will try and have a word with the inspector when he comes around later.
          Just keep calm and talk your way out of it. Bare in mind that you are low hanging fruit because you can obviously afford a builder and his figures will be down..
          You need to point at the builder and tell the council he quoted the job so its his problem and wash your hand of it having instructed the builder to do the same in the end they will drop it because its waisting time...

I had a little counsel twunt turn up to moan about my scaffolding last year. I pointed at the pavement and mentioned the fact that it was great that the council had finally turned up and that my pavement had not been swept for several years and that I could fetch him a broom if he was staying

He didn't! I don't believe we saw him for the rest of the month

Comment

WPS +1300

Comment

And make sure he doesn't take photos !

Comment

Fees / permits are the responsibility of the property owner unless you stipulated their transference in your contract to the builder.
                Hoarding fees are a staple for Council finances.

If you take it to small claims you may be able to claim that the builder should have advised you in a professional capacity that permits would have been needed.

Did you get a written quote from the builder? If so check his T&C.

Have you checked your deeds: where is the line of ownership? It may be that the wall was the council’s property.

If the hoarding is going to be up for a few days make sure you comply with council requirements (check their website) but normally its lights & hazards: do you have lights on the hoarding? (red & white) do have any protrusions (the rubber feet or bracing) if so have they been painted white / yellow to mitigate the trip hazard potential?

Basically though your stuffed, as mentioned previously try & talk your way out of it (try mentioning that you wanted to get the works done in good faith before it became a H&S issue to the general public) with the council but be prepared that you are likely to have to pay the costs.
                Growing old is mandatory
                Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                  Fees / permits are the responsibility of the property owner unless you stipulated their transference in your contract to the builder.
                  Hoarding fees are a staple for Council finances.

If you take it to small claims you may be able to claim that the builder should have advised you in a professional capacity that permits would have been needed.

Did you get a written quote from the builder? If so check his T&C.

Have you checked your deeds: where is the line of ownership? It may be that the wall was the council’s property.

If the hoarding is going to be up for a few days make sure you comply with council requirements (check their website) but normally its lights & hazards: do you have lights on the hoarding? (red & white) do have any protrusions (the rubber feet or bracing) if so have they been painted white / yellow to mitigate the trip hazard potential?

Basically though your stuffed, as mentioned previously try & talk your way out of it (try mentioning that you wanted to get the works done in good faith before it became a H&S issue to the general public) with the council but be prepared that you are likely to have to pay the costs.
                  Thanks for the info.

Frustrating that the rules weren't even mentioned and the builder is pleading ignorance of the rules.

Oh well. I'm a contractor, but that doesn't mean I want to throw money away.

Comment

The final sting is £458.49. Budget was tight for the work anyway, now its tighter.

No warning or anything, wasn't even up for a day, taken down as soon as the inspector made the builders aware (although they should have been aware already)

You try to do the best thing for pedestrian safety and protecting cars on the road, wish I hadn't bothered.

Just another money grabbing scheme bought to you by London Borough of Haringey.

That's all folks, thanks for listening.

Comment

Working...
                    X