• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

9Gag.com

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9Gag.com

Just been introduced to this site
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

<nostalgia>

Ahh, Sigh, The days when you could fit your entire OS on 1 floppy.

</nostalgia>
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
      <nostalgia>

Ahh, Sigh, The days when you could fit your entire OS on 1 floppy.

</nostalgia>
      I bet some smart alec has done a linux distro that runs off a floppy using some wacky compression algorithm thingy. If not it needs to be done.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Just been introduced to this site
        You might laugh. Early in my career I was tasked with upgrading the site's 49 MicroVaxes. Each upgrade required 47 floppy disks.

Think I did about 10 before I spent the time to work out the minimum number of files needed to get the thing to boot and on the network from where I could load the rest, and got it down to about 6 floppies. One of my first forays into 'development' - RAMBO (R___ Automated MicroVax Backup Operation) was born!

Comment

I bet some smart alec has done a linux distro that runs off a floppy using some wacky compression algorithm thingy. If not it needs to be done.
          Yes there are/were plenty like that. tomsrtbt used to be a favourite. Not too wacky as the kernel is stored in a compressed format anyway so it's mainly a case of limiting the installed apps/tools/drivers etc to a bare minimum. Although not quite the same thing, SystemRescueCd is a modern variant that I have found useful to keep at hand, on an old 256MB USB stick.

Comment

The closest to a whole OS on a disk these days is probably damn small linux DSL information it's really not bad for a sub 50mb image

Comment

You can certainly get a basic command line system on a floppy. In the olden days a distro came with various boot disk images (containing kernel, shell, basic utilities etc) and you picked one most likely to work on your hardware and put it on a floppy and booted it. This actually ran off the floppy disk as there generally wasn't enough ram for a ramdisk. The kernel image is still called zimage or vmlinuz cos its compressed.

These days you'd probably use a compressed disk image and unzip it to a ramdisk.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
              X