EternalOptimist
19th April 2013, 15:27
how much for a new combi boiler ,fitted and plumbed in

old boiler and immersion taken away ?

anyone had any recent experience ?

:rolleyes:

sasguru
19th April 2013, 15:46
How long is a piece of string? Depends on the boiler. I'm of the old school in that I think a boiler, like shoes, furniture and your house's other fixtures and fittings must be the best of the best.
False economy to buy cheap stuff in those instances.
A Vaillant boiler installed is about £4K down south, prob cheaper North.

vetran
19th April 2013, 15:50
old boiler out pipes run to Baxi Platinum combi fitted 30 feet away in the Garage, new controller , rad thermostats = £3.5K

2 years ago.

basically get British gas round to quote then pay 1/2 - 2/3rds.

but can vary a lot according to Combi chosen.

when ours was done the boiler & tank were taken for scrap no charge strangely enough.

proggy
19th April 2013, 15:55
Combi-boilers, is that what the working and lower middle classes use in their awful new builds?

SasGuru

sasguru
19th April 2013, 15:59
Combi-boilers, is that what the working and lower middle classes use in their awful new builds?

SasGuru

agree with the new-build stuff being crap, but nothing wrong with combi.

proggy
19th April 2013, 16:01
agree with the new-build stuff being crap, but nothing wrong with combi.

Just kidding, I have a Worcester one.

Troll
19th April 2013, 16:04
Viessmann Vitodens £2k supplied and fitted - but it is a system boiler rather than a combi because I live in a considerably larger house than yow

bobspud
19th April 2013, 16:06
You need to do your sums carefully.

If you over spec the boiler it won't run as efficiently
If you turnit up too high it will not recapture the heat and condense as efficiently.

Most companies talk of break even points in terms of 45% savings per year but that won't happen if you fall foul of the above points.

Also it's worth noting the average life of a new boiler will not be anywhere as long as the old growler in your airing cupboard :rolleyes:

Spent Easter Sunday ripping my fathers inlaws thirty year old potterton boiler to bits. We fixed it for £65 :cool:

vetran
19th April 2013, 16:10
WVS.

About £3.3k 3 years ago.

Had the lead pipes taken out at the same time.

Of which there were many.

Sadly, the lead waterservice is still in place.

Can't you get a grant / water company to get that replaced?

OwlHoot
19th April 2013, 16:52
How long is a piece of string? Depends on the boiler. I'm of the old school in that I think a boiler, like shoes, furniture and your house's other fixtures and fittings must be the best of the best.
False economy to buy cheap stuff in those instances.
A Vaillant boiler installed is about £4K down south, prob cheaper North.

WHS (for once)

My top-of-the-range Vaillant Ecotek cost £5K to purchase brand new and install

But it's worth every penny - Doesn't break a sweat when I'm running a piping hot bath, and has just had a two-year service (cost £55) after which the gas guy said it was still in pristine nick.

Fishface
19th April 2013, 17:25
if its one of these condensing boilers pay attention to where it drains to - if it is outside they freeze up and F the boiler -

SueEllen
19th April 2013, 19:15
There is a site called Moneysavingexpert.com where people can ask questions on saving money on household matters like this, personal banking, personal credit cards, mortgages etc.

I think that would be the best place to ask this question.

BTW If you have 2 or more bathrooms, or a minimum of one bathroom and one cloakroom, and your house isn't big enough to need more than one boiler then DO NOT get a combi-boiler.

worzelGummidge
20th April 2013, 14:42
£3k, two years ago but depends on your house.
Our gas bill dropped by about 50%

Further to my visit to your home I have pleasure in detailing below a revised schedule of work we will carry out for £3050.00 including vat.

The existing back boiler & fire, cylinder and tanks will be removed & disposed of. (Flue liner to remain).

In the kitchen will be installed a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30 CDI A rated 30Kw, wall mounted, gas, condensing, combination boiler/water heater fitted with a fanned flue which will terminate through outside wall to rear of boiler. A plume management kit will be fitted.

The boiler will be fitted with filling loop, non return valve, isolating valves and pressure relief pipe-work and valve which will discharge through the outside wall.

A plastic condense pipe will be taken to a suitable drain.

The existing 22mm gas pipe work below the back room floor will be extended to the new boiler position I have assumed the existing gas pipe work to be sound & of adequate size / gas flow rate. Tests will be carried out.

The existing hot and cold water services will be reconnected to the new boiler to supply hot water on demand. The existing shower pump will removed & pipe work cross connected.

The existing heating circuit will be reconnected.

ctdctd
20th April 2013, 16:55
My Combi Boiler has just bust :throw: :tantrum: :throw:

It's ten years old and a B&Q cheapy - always been a bit reluctant to light but has sprung a leak inside - wet gas does not light very well!

I'm going to budget £2K for a straight swap for a make with a decent guarantee - am I going to get one under budget?

Combi is good as there is only me - current one has just about paid for itself in gas savings over the old back boiler one in the fireplace (which is still there - probably holds up the house!)

Archangel
20th April 2013, 19:52
My father (who lives in a 5 bed, two bath house) has just had a Worcester bosch combi put in to replace a five year old boiler and heat exchanger hot water cylinder system. 7 year parts & labour guarantee, £2.5k in Cumbria.

EternalOptimist
20th April 2013, 19:57
thanks fellows. some useful info here

Lockhouse
20th April 2013, 20:16
We've got an industrial sized boiler that's been going strong since 1975. Yes it costs a fortune to run, no it doesn't go wrong. Output is 59Kw. It only has two settings; off and inferno.

OwlHoot
20th April 2013, 20:16
There is a site called Moneysavingexpert.com where people can ask questions on saving money on household matters like this, ...

I wouldn't take any notice of the misers on a site like that - You'll end up with some cheap pile of junk that is always going wrong. Pennypinchers spend their whole life struggling with things breaking down all the time.

Get a Vaillant EcoTEC Plus 837 (http://www.discountheating.com/wallgascondensingcombi/vaillantecotecplus837.htm) or EcoTEC Plus 937 Storage (http://www.discountheating.com/wallgascondensingcombi/vaillantecotecplus937.html) , and you'll have no problems for years.

EternalOptimist
20th April 2013, 20:26
I wouldn't take any notice of the misers on a site like that - You'll end up with some cheap pile of junk that is always going wrong. Pennypinchers spend their whole life struggling with things breaking down all the time.

Get a Vaillant EcoTEC Plus 837 (http://www.discountheating.com/wallgascondensingcombi/vaillantecotecplus837.htm) or EcoTEC Plus 937 Storage (http://www.discountheating.com/wallgascondensingcombi/vaillantecotecplus937.html) , and you'll have no problems for years.

yes , but how many years ?

from what I am reading, the old standard boilers lasted for 20 years, the new combi / condensers last for 7 years

on average

mudskipper
20th April 2013, 20:32

from what I am reading, the old standard boilers lasted for 20 years, the new combi / condensers last for 7 years

on average

Ours has been a PITA. Breaks down on average once a year. Probably about 8 years old now, and has three new fans and two new thermostats.

OwlHoot
20th April 2013, 20:36

on average

I read the other day that 60% of the Rolls Royces made since 1900 are still running.

In the year 2100 they'll probably be saying the same about EcoTEC boilers.

:rolleyes:

P.S. I paid extra for a built-in water softener, which probably makes a big difference in a hard water area like London. Not sure how applicable that is in Liverpool though.

OwlHoot
20th April 2013, 20:39
Ours has been a PITA. Breaks down on average once a year. Probably about 8 years old now, and has three new fans and two new thermostats.

What was your model though? A Potterton or Worcester? I've heard they're not quite as good as Vaillants, although there's probably not much difference.

Anyway, the technology (including what amount to built in PCs) has come on in leaps and bounds in the last 10 years.

SueEllen
21st April 2013, 12:48

Actually the "misers" on there recommend Vaillant or Worcester Boilers.

A few of them claim to be tradesmen and get there work from fixing other makes. Most people can't afford to put in Vaillant or Worcester boilers as they cost more.

I have a Vaillant Eco model which has been going fine since 2005. No break downs yet.

Oh and money saving doesn't equal buying junk. It means not wasting your money on cheap or expensive items that don't do the job.

EternalOptimist
21st April 2013, 13:42
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to go for a 24kw combi/condensor, for 2.5 - 3k
sometime in the summer

Scrag Meister
22nd April 2013, 07:31
Brand new Vaillant 831, in North London, £1450 supplied and fitted to replace existing.

-> Cash, no questions asked.

lukemg
22nd April 2013, 13:08
Wrong forum I know BUT - which sort do I need to get the hot water up to decent pressure ? Barely adequate from current tank setup, yeah I know a pump can be fitted but suspect boiler is looking for retirement after 15 years so thinking 2 birds 1 stone type deal...

gingerjedi
22nd April 2013, 13:21
I've just been quoted £2.5k for a combi and 9 radiators fitted.

My plumber seems far to honest to make any money in this game, he's gas safe registered and came highly recommended but turned up in in an old 'P' reg Pug van, only charged me £50 for servicing my back boiler. :smile

I was expecting a '13' plate Merc Vanio, sucking of air through teeth and a bill for £150+.

Mich the Tester
22nd April 2013, 13:23
Vaillant.

Enough said.

Sysman
22nd April 2013, 13:27
basically get British gas round to quote then pay 1/2 - 2/3rds.

That sounds right.

when ours was done the boiler & tank were taken for scrap no charge strangely enough.

20 years ago the scrap value of the boiler and tank were the fitter's perk.

Uncle Albert
22nd April 2013, 13:37
Wrong forum I know BUT - which sort do I need to get the hot water up to decent pressure ? Barely adequate from current tank setup, yeah I know a pump can be fitted but suspect boiler is looking for retirement after 15 years so thinking 2 birds 1 stone type deal...

Megaflo is what you're after. We had one put in about 7 years ago and it's great.

Troll
22nd April 2013, 14:09
Wrong forum I know BUT - which sort do I need to get the hot water up to decent pressure ? Barely adequate from current tank setup, yeah I know a pump can be fitted but suspect boiler is looking for retirement after 15 years so thinking 2 birds 1 stone type deal...Do you have a storage cylinder for hot water or use a combi?

sasguru
22nd April 2013, 14:11
... only charged me £50 for servicing my back boiler. :smile

looks like you enjoyed it.