• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Heading towards the bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heading towards the bench

Last week of the contract and a massive fall out with the team. Here's what happened.

The project deployment was scheduled for the weekend. I was never part of the deployment although had worked on creating scripts, but did handover to one of the permies. The PM thought he is cheaper to handle this over the weekend, as the project is already over-budget. On friday afternoon, I was almost done with my stuff, when this guy said can you help me a bit. I just took some bits of his workload, just because he is a nice chap and I didn't want to delay the project as it is one nice to haves on the CV.

This task turns out to be massive as compared to what I expected, and took me into late evening finishing it. When I got up @ 11.30 to leave, there were funny looks on the faces of others who have been slagging for couple of days, and were looking forward for the same during the weekend.

Firstly, no one asked me to be part of the deployment, and asked if I could be available over the weekend. Somehow they just assumed that because I am part of the project team, I would be available, which is clearly wrong. The PM in a desperate bid to save his tulip-hole asked me to stay for few more hours and get done with some of the tasks. I flatly refused as I have other priorities in my life. As I was a part of the team, I kept on getting emails over the weekend at pretty much every hour. I just noticed that there was kind of frustration in the team, as they thought I would be there helping them, but I wasnt.

As this is the last week of the contract, I have few interviews lined up, and I don't think I have a renewal coming this time round.

Make some space on the bench, just in case. Atleast the weather is getting nicer, so can get some good family time.

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
    Last week of the contract and a massive fall out with the team. Here's what happened.

The project deployment was scheduled for the weekend. I was never part of the deployment although had worked on creating scripts, but did handover to one of the permies. The PM thought he is cheaper to handle this over the weekend, as the project is already over-budget. On friday afternoon, I was almost done with my stuff, when this guy said can you help me a bit. I just took some bits of his workload, just because he is a nice chap and I didn't want to delay the project as it is one nice to haves on the CV.

This task turns out to be massive as compared to what I expected, and took me into late evening finishing it. When I got up @ 11.30 to leave, there were funny looks on the faces of others who have been slagging for couple of days, and were looking forward for the same during the weekend.

Firstly, no one asked me to be part of the deployment, and asked if I could be available over the weekend. Somehow they just assumed that because I am part of the project team, I would be available, which is clearly wrong. The PM in a desperate bid to save his tulip-hole asked me to stay for few more hours and get done with some of the tasks. I flatly refused as I have other priorities in my life. As I was a part of the team, I kept on getting emails over the weekend at pretty much every hour. I just noticed that there was kind of frustration in the team, as they thought I would be there helping them, but I wasnt.

As this is the last week of the contract, I have few interviews lined up, and I don't think I have a renewal coming this time round.

Make some space on the bench, just in case. Atleast the weather is getting nicer, so can get some good family time.
    What I dont get is, why it took you so long to realise the helping out task was going to take so long. I mean really, you were still working on it at 11pm so how come you didnt realise within minutes of looking at the task, it was a biggie?

The time to have said, 'Im not staying all night to do this' was in the first hour surely?

Anyhow, the damage is done. You may be able to rescue the position if you can discuss what happened with all involved.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

The PM is responsible for planning resources, if he hadn't reserved you he is in the frame. I assume you got paid for Friday night? Were you going to get paid for the weekend?

From the sound of it they had already decided you weren't required at the weekend. Changing their mind at the last minute when you had plans wasn't very sensible.

Apologise to your colleagues for not joining them in the trenches but tell them you had been told ahead of time you weren't needed and you had arranged other things. Make sure you tell them about all the urgent things you did.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Reminds me of last client co. Just tell them you don't want to renew because they are a bunch of disorganised idiots and do one. Best in the long run.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Well it´s unlikely they´ll extend or reemploy you, but if you´re not worried about that it doesn´t matter. Not something to do with a very important client.

I have to say that leaving behind a deployment in that state is not something I would do unless there was some pressing need.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Well it´s unlikely they´ll extend or reemploy you, but if you´re not worried about that it doesn´t matter. Not something to do with a very important client.

I have to say that leaving behind a deployment in that state is not something I would do unless there was some pressing need.
            I did not leave the deployment in that state! I was not asked to be there. There has to be difference between a Permie who can be summoned @ the last hour, and an external resource who has to be planned in advance. I did extend my professional day till late just to accommodate my mistake in judging the task. That is where it ends.

The problem is that all their projects seems to be heading that way, as there is no clear planning for deployments, and it starts getting wild @ the end. I was the one who wrote the scripts, and all someone had to do was execute it. I mean how difficult can it be after they have been tested thoroughly again and again. That was probably the reason why PM thought, he cannot afford me to be there on Saturday just clicking few buttons and sitting and invoicing. This was until someone who managed to not follow the clearly marked steps and screw up everything.

Actually I did them a big favor in highlighting the issues they have. Hopefully the next deployments will be planned properly. I for once, am glad that there is no extension offer to reject.

Comment

I did not leave the deployment in that state! I was not asked to be there. There has to be difference between a Permie who can be summoned @ the last hour, and an external resource who has to be planned in advance. I did extend my professional day till late just to accommodate my mistake in judging the task. That is where it ends.

The problem is that all their projects seems to be heading that way, as there is no clear planning for deployments, and it starts getting wild @ the end. I was the one who wrote the scripts, and all someone had to do was execute it. I mean how difficult can it be after they have been tested thoroughly again and again. That was probably the reason why PM thought, he cannot afford me to be there on Saturday just clicking few buttons and sitting and invoicing. This was until someone who managed to not follow the clearly marked steps and screw up everything.

Actually I did them a big favor in highlighting the issues they have. Hopefully the next deployments will be planned properly. I for once, am glad that there is no extension offer to reject.
              So you did the overtime for free?
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Some idiot clients are like that.

My only advice is to sound that alarm as soon as you receive the request. I wouldn't care if he was a nice chap, this is business..
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  So you did the overtime for free?
                  It wasn't really free actually. I've been leaving early when there is no work, so it seems okay to stay for longer when there is some more work. The definition of professional day works both ways remember?

Comment

It wasn't really free actually. I've been leaving early when there is no work, so it seems okay to stay for longer when there is some more work. The definition of professional day works both ways remember?
                    Fair enough.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X