• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying stuff from US

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying stuff from US

Suppose I want to buy few grand worth of IT hardware from USA, would it be hit by UK custom duties/VAT?

it'll take fecking ages to get through EU customs

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      Suppose I want to buy few grand worth of IT hardware from USA, would it be hit by UK custom duties/VAT?
      In theory yes. Doesn't always happen (I bought loads of Cisco kit for my lab via ebay from the US and about 75% of the time I got hit with Custom Duties). Depends how it's worded I guess - if you can get the other end to lie about what it is, and maybe downplay the value (Screws your insurance).
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

How to find out how much custom duty will be? Will they also charge VAT on import? It seems that if dury is over 15-20% then its pretty pointless to import stuff that I want.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          How to find out how much custom duty will be? Will they also charge VAT on import? It seems that if dury is over 15-20% then its pretty pointless to import stuff that I want.
          To be honest, unless it's a great bargain and possibly small size then once you factor in customs and shipping plus intangibles (Local sale vs foreign sale etc) it's not normally worth it. Cost varies on value of goods and type.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

You'll be hit with VAT and possibly other duty on top.

Only worth doing if the thing you want is not easily available in the UK.

To do it to save money rarely works as the nice C&E people make sure El Gordo gets a big fat slice.

Comment

Undoubtably yes. I bought £300 quids worth of goods and got stung for an additional £80 when it arrived.

The only way round it is to get them to package it (and on the postage label) mark it as a gift. I doubt the people you're buying it from would do this, and the VAT man can always open it up (and presumably find a dispatch note) so this isn't guaranteed. Not that I would even consider trying that of course.
              "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Yeah that's what I thought, oh well, at least price difference is not as big as it used to be.

Comment

No wonder colonists rebelled against taxes

Comment

Bit of a have really, especially if you have already paid tax on the purchase where you got it from.

BTW, anyone know what happened with that case involved HM Customs and their duble taxing of European alcohol etc?

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                    X