• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am old before my time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am old before my time

3 reasons I have come to this conclusion:

1) Chris Evans is my preferred breakfast DJ and I listen to Radio 2 more than any other station
    2) I groan when picking things up off the floor. It may be from the previous day's run/gym but still

3) I find myself reflecting on my career a lot. For almost my entire career I have been happy to take whichever contract pays the most and what will stand me in the best stead for getting the next one that will pay more. Am not yet 40 but I do wonder about the sum of my life's achievements when compared with those far more poorly remunerated, like nurses, or policeman for example. The fact that I made a few end users lives easier, saved a few blue chips some money etc is in the greater scheme of things fairly meaningless. Now, don't get me wrong, I intend to chase the money to the end of my working days ( have 3 expensive girls to keep in shoes/horses/barbies etc) but I do sometimes wonder if I should supplement the day job with something like charity work or at least something slightly more meaningful. I mean, FFS, who wants, did some IT stuff on their tombstone when it could be so much more? Anyone else?

1) I can't stand the radio, except radio 4 in the car
    2) Don't put things on the floor
    3) I believe we are on the cusp of developing a scientific understanding of human nature and that this, like most human endeavor, has the potential to do great good and great harm. I'm doing my best to contribute to that in a positive way.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post

1) Chris Evans is my preferred breakfast DJ and I listen to Radio 2 more than any other station
      2) I groan when picking things up off the floor. It may be from the previous day's run/gym but still

3) I find myself reflecting on my career a lot. For almost my entire career I have been happy to take whichever contract pays the most and what will stand me in the best stead for getting the next one that will pay more. Am not yet 40 but I do wonder about the sum of my life's achievements when compared with those far more poorly remunerated, like nurses, or policeman for example. The fact that I made a few end users lives easier, saved a few blue chips some money etc is in the greater scheme of things fairly meaningless. Now, don't get me wrong, I intend to chase the money to the end of my working days ( have 3 expensive girls to keep in shoes/horses/barbies etc) but I do sometimes wonder if I should supplement the day job with something like charity work or at least something slightly more meaningful. I mean, FFS, who wants, did some IT stuff on their tombstone when it could be so much more? Anyone else?
      Not sure you're old before your time. Although I can relate to all 3 points [except point 1 - I detest him, and always listen to radio 4]

As for point 3, you could probably add some value to your local community perhaps?
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

1. Radio 4 only.
        2. I'm past 40 but still supple. Maybe playing squash for the last 25 years has helped.
        3. I think this is because your job is boring. I was going in the same direction (management, climb the ladder blah blah) but while cushy it was unrewarding in every way except financially. Luckily I had retrained with a Masters a few years ago so just had to apply it. Now feeling much better working on cutting edge and socially useful work in the health economics industry. Oh and it pays a fook of a lot more and gives me a lifestyle where I can see my kid every day and get involved in his life as he grows up since I work from home. My advice to you: retrain, if you can.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

I know how you feel.

Don't liten to R2 but R6
          Thankfully don't support anyone apart from my own expensive habits, but have started to look at where I want to go with my career and what I can do on the sidelines. I have done volunteer work in the past.

I'm really thinking should I jack in plan A which I hate doing for a living and its purely for the money and go for plan B
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

+ 1 for Radio 4

I found Radio 2 breakfasts to be just as irritating and pointless as Radio 1
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

I am 31 and have been listening to Radio4 for years
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

as far as 3 is concerned, be cautious.

At your age you will be entering the territory where you can do a lot of good for you and yours extended family. Then pretty soon you will be looking at the buffers

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

1. Chris Evans -??????? Annoying Pratt.
                  2. Get some exercise, my dad is in his 70s and still mixing concrete by the ton.
                  3. Do some volunteering.

fixed - as your lifestyle guru I will make your wallet lighter by £1000, should help with the bending over.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    2. Get some exercise, my dad is in his 70s and still mixing concrete by the ton.
                    Am pretty fit. Good to go for a half marathon ( I run 3/4 times a week and doing loads of kettlebell workouts which are a killer.

Comment

Working...
                    X