PDA

View Full Version : I am old before my time

oracleslave
23rd April 2013, 08:48
3 reasons I have come to this conclusion:

1) Chris Evans is my preferred breakfast DJ and I listen to Radio 2 more than any other station
2) I groan when picking things up off the floor. It may be from the previous day's run/gym but still :(

3) I find myself reflecting on my career a lot. For almost my entire career I have been happy to take whichever contract pays the most and what will stand me in the best stead for getting the next one that will pay more. Am not yet 40 but I do wonder about the sum of my life's achievements when compared with those far more poorly remunerated, like nurses, or policeman for example. The fact that I made a few end users lives easier, saved a few blue chips some money etc is in the greater scheme of things fairly meaningless. Now, don't get me wrong, I intend to chase the money to the end of my working days ( have 3 expensive girls to keep in shoes/horses/barbies etc) but I do sometimes wonder if I should supplement the day job with something like charity work or at least something slightly more meaningful. I mean, FFS, who wants, did some IT stuff on their tombstone when it could be so much more? Anyone else?

doodab
23rd April 2013, 08:55
1) I can't stand the radio, except radio 4 in the car
2) Don't put things on the floor
3) I believe we are on the cusp of developing a scientific understanding of human nature and that this, like most human endeavor, has the potential to do great good and great harm. I'm doing my best to contribute to that in a positive way.

MaryPoppins
23rd April 2013, 08:57

1) Chris Evans is my preferred breakfast DJ and I listen to Radio 2 more than any other station
2) I groan when picking things up off the floor. It may be from the previous day's run/gym but still :(

3) I find myself reflecting on my career a lot. For almost my entire career I have been happy to take whichever contract pays the most and what will stand me in the best stead for getting the next one that will pay more. Am not yet 40 but I do wonder about the sum of my life's achievements when compared with those far more poorly remunerated, like nurses, or policeman for example. The fact that I made a few end users lives easier, saved a few blue chips some money etc is in the greater scheme of things fairly meaningless. Now, don't get me wrong, I intend to chase the money to the end of my working days ( have 3 expensive girls to keep in shoes/horses/barbies etc) but I do sometimes wonder if I should supplement the day job with something like charity work or at least something slightly more meaningful. I mean, FFS, who wants, did some IT stuff on their tombstone when it could be so much more? Anyone else?

Not sure you're old before your time. Although I can relate to all 3 points [except point 1 - I detest him, and always listen to radio 4]

As for point 3, you could probably add some value to your local community perhaps?

sasguru
23rd April 2013, 09:04

1. Radio 4 only.
2. I'm past 40 but still supple. Maybe playing squash for the last 25 years has helped.
3. I think this is because your job is boring. I was going in the same direction (management, climb the ladder blah blah) but while cushy it was unrewarding in every way except financially. Luckily I had retrained with a Masters a few years ago so just had to apply it. Now feeling much better working on cutting edge and socially useful work in the health economics industry. Oh and it pays a fook of a lot more and gives me a lifestyle where I can see my kid every day and get involved in his life as he grows up since I work from home. My advice to you: retrain, if you can.

norrahe
23rd April 2013, 09:20
I know how you feel.

Don't liten to R2 but R6
Thankfully don't support anyone apart from my own expensive habits, but have started to look at where I want to go with my career and what I can do on the sidelines. I have done volunteer work in the past.

I'm really thinking should I jack in plan A which I hate doing for a living and its purely for the money and go for plan B

Spacecadet
23rd April 2013, 09:26
+ 1 for Radio 4

I found Radio 2 breakfasts to be just as irritating and pointless as Radio 1

SimonMac
23rd April 2013, 09:34

I am 31 and have been listening to Radio4 for years :emb

EternalOptimist
23rd April 2013, 09:37
as far as 3 is concerned, be cautious.

At your age you will be entering the territory where you can do a lot of good for you and yours extended family. Then pretty soon you will be looking at the buffers

:rolleyes:

vetran
23rd April 2013, 09:39
1. Chris Evans -??????? Annoying Pratt.
2. Get some exercise, my dad is in his 70s and still mixing concrete by the ton.
3. Do some volunteering.

fixed - as your lifestyle guru I will make your wallet lighter by £1000, should help with the bending over.

oracleslave
23rd April 2013, 09:42
2. Get some exercise, my dad is in his 70s and still mixing concrete by the ton.

Am pretty fit. Good to go for a half marathon ( I run 3/4 times a week and doing loads of kettlebell workouts which are a killer.

northernladuk
23rd April 2013, 09:42
Thank god for all the radio 4 responses. My family think I am a dinosaur for listening but there is so absorbing stuff on there and make the journey just disappear. That 'Mark Steel's in Town' makes me larf.

Saying that even the kids hate Grimmy on R1 saying who he has partied with, which celebs he spoke to/got photographed with yadda yadda. I can't see how that appeals to anyone, young or old.

darmstadt
23rd April 2013, 10:18

Shouldn't that be: "Make more groaning and grunting noises when picking up things now than I do when having sex!"

oracleslave
23rd April 2013, 10:56
Shouldn't that be: "Make more groaning and grunting noises when picking up things now than I do when having sex!"

How do you grunt and groan with that snooker ball firmly wedged in your gob with a tight leather strap? :eyes

Paddy
23rd April 2013, 11:34
Thank god for all the radio 4 responses. My family think I am a dinosaur for listening but there is so absorbing stuff on there and make the journey just disappear. That 'Mark Steel's in Town' makes me larf.

Saying that even the kids hate Grimmy on R1 saying who he has partied with, which celebs he spoke to/got photographed with yadda yadda. I can't see how that appeals to anyone, young or old.

Yes, but even radio four is now dummed down. When I switch it on there is usually a lesbian going on about some rights for facilities in order bring kids to work or something equally stupid.

MaryPoppins
23rd April 2013, 12:06
I am 31 and have been listening to Radio4 for years :emb

Yeah, same. Except I'm 33.

Ugh.

doodab
23rd April 2013, 12:17
even radio four is now dummed down.

Oh the ironing!

hyperD
23rd April 2013, 12:46
Never waste an erection.

Enjoy the sun.

Look for enjoyable things that are free, such as taking a walk in the countryside with your family.

Spend time, food, wine and conversation with good friends.

Switch off the radio, TV and don't read newspapers.

Give a tramp a cup of hot tea and ask about his story.

Give a politician a good kicking.

oracleslave
23rd April 2013, 12:49
Never waste an erection.

Enjoy the sun.

Look for enjoyable things that are free, such as taking a walk in the countryside with your family.

Spend time, food, wine and conversation with good friends.

Switch off the radio, TV and don't read newspapers.

Give a tramp a cup of hot tea and ask about his story.

Give a politician a good kicking.

Nothing wrong with your suggestions, although it makes me think my original post sounded as if I was unhappy or depressed, which I am not. More reflective over how pointless some of this IT stuff in the grand scheme of things and how others in poorly paid jobs make far greater contributions than I ever could on this career path.

doodab
23rd April 2013, 12:52
Never waste an erection.

Enjoy the sun.

Look for enjoyable things that are free

You can kill these three birds with one stone by having a wank in the garden.

sasguru
23rd April 2013, 12:53
. More reflective over how pointless some of this IT stuff in the grand scheme of things and how others in poorly paid jobs make far greater contributions than I ever could on this career path.

Well you're in luck. Some of the lowest grades of the NHS, care assistants and the like require very few qualifications. Off you go: quit your pointless manager's job and go and empty some bed pans. :rolleyes:

hyperD
23rd April 2013, 12:54
More reflective over how pointless some of this IT stuff in the grand scheme of things and how others in poorly paid jobs make far greater contributions than I ever could on this career path.

Sorry OS, didn't mean to demean the sentiment, I totally agree which is why I'm trying to pursue activities that make more sense to me in the grand scheme of things.

hyperD
23rd April 2013, 12:55
You can kill these three birds with one stone by having a wank in the garden.

Well, thank you my Six Sigma friend, I've found more time! :)

NickFitz
23rd April 2013, 13:13
Another vote for Radio 4 :)

And for feeling old, mainly the morning after the night before :ohwell :oldgit:

Gibbon
23rd April 2013, 13:22
( have 3 expensive girls to keep in shoes/horses/barbies etc)

Make sure you don't just become the paycheck, you have one life of indeterminate length; you have responsibilities for necessaries but also a right to choose your own course within those parameters. Remember most people regret things they never did but had thought about and also not having enough sex!

faber est quisque fortunae suae

TheFaQQer
23rd April 2013, 16:01
who wants, did some IT stuff on their tombstone when it could be so much more? Anyone else?

Cremation is the answer to that one.

The rest, I mainly agree with.

Cut the expenditure, cut the income and have time with the family instead. This year looks like a bad one for me, because I may have to work for 11 months, rather than my usual 9 months of the year.

MarillionFan
28th April 2013, 21:13
Never waste an erection.

Max Clifford. :rolleyes: