• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More sneering at British Entrepreneurism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More sneering at British Entrepreneurism

BBC News - James McCormick guilty of selling fake bomb detectors

A millionaire businessman who sold fake bomb detectors to countries including Iraq and Georgia, knowing they did not work, has been convicted of fraud.

James McCormick, 56, of Langport, Somerset, is said to have made £50m from sales and sold over 6,000 to Iraq.

The devices, which sold for up to $40,000 (£27,000), were based on a novelty golf ball finder and supposed to detect explosives, people and drugs.

An Iraqi bomb victim described him to the BBC as a "morally bankrupt" man.

The models were described by prosecutors as completely ineffectual and lacking any grounding in science.
    Oh dear.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

The models were described by prosecutors as completely ineffectual and lacking any grounding in science.
    Maybe he should have described them as homeopathic bomb detectors instead.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'd send him to clear up minefields with one of his mine detectors.

Comment

saw the adverts, it made X10 or american personal development ads look professional.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The Iraqi government bought thousands. Obviously it never occurred to anybody to test one.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Excellent entrepreneur, ethically bankrupt man. What do these people think, Madoff and the likes?
            My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              The Iraqi government bought thousands. Obviously because of the bribes the company were giving out nobody tested one.
              FTFY

easy way to the recronstruction cash.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I hope that isn't what Hans Blix was using to look for the WMD

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                  I hope that isn't what Hans Blix was using to look for the WMD

nope , Blix was using this kit

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Today bomb detectors.....tomorrow Climate Scientists

Comment

Working...
                    X