• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding a contract role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding a contract role

Hi folks,

I am currently a permie and have just started looking for contract roles. My question is what is the best way to look for contract role, is it simply to view sites like jobserve and apply for jobs directly via the website? Or should I send my updated cv to as many agents as possible?

I noticed on jobserve there is a facility to allow registered agencies to gain access to your CV, is this a good idea? Or will I get lots of SPAM/contacted for roles that are not relevant at all?

How many of you have your CV searchable like this?

Any other good tips would be most welcome.

Many thanks.

feckin hell , all the permies have invaded
    raise the defences

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
      Hi folks,

I am currently a permie and have just started looking for contract roles. My question is what is the best way to look for contract role, is it simply to view sites like jobserve and apply for jobs directly via the website? Or should I send my updated cv to as many agents as possible?

I noticed on jobserve there is a facility to allow registered agencies to gain access to your CV, is this a good idea? Or will I get lots of SPAM/contacted for roles that are not relevant at all?

Many thanks.

I got my first contract by looking in the small ads in the back of “Metro”
      HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
        I got my first contract by looking in the small ads in the back of “Metro”
        So Burger King didn't want to take permanent staff?
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
          So Burger King didn't want to take permanent staff?
          How do you know it was Burger King?
          HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
            Hi folks,

Many thanks.
            Wrong thread but I am feeling generous so no slagging.

IMHO you need to be as visible as possible. Post your CV where you can. Browse the job sites every day and apply for anything you think you are suitable for pointing out that you are available for similar positions.

The down side is that the sharks will gather and you will get spammed with all sorts of irrelevant jobs. Some of it is fishing trips by agents looking for contacts and others looking to pad out their list of contractors on their books.
            Try not to get sucked in always ask them for a rate, location and job description before answering their questions (avoid answering at all if possible).
            Treat anything they tell you with suspicion untill you have proof its true and come back here and read the advice threads or ask questions if unsure.

Make yourself familiar or get a good advisor with regard to IR35 and the conduct of agents act, these two are major issues for you.

Here endeth todays lesson.

Oh yeah, learn to spell or develope a thick skin cos the spelling mafia live here.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I've only ever sent my CV in reference to specific roles on Jobserve - you get enough spam as a result of this endeavour, let alone posting it on the website... however I'm sure you'll find someone here who's had a positive experience doing this...somewhere....maybe?
              "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Now now! I realise my bad ways and hence have come to the conclusion that the only smart thing to do is go contracting. I have had enough of the politics, ridiculous hours, no reward blah blah. I simply want to do my work and be paid. Surely you can empathise?

PS: This is in response to Andy's reply
                Last edited by Lex; 13 July 2006, 15:15.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                  Oh yeah, learn to spell or develope a thick skin cos the spelling mafia live here.
                  until
                  today's
                  develop

Last edited by XLMonkey; 13 July 2006, 15:33.
                  Plan A is located just about here.
                  If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
                    Now now! I realise my bad ways and hence have come to the conclusion that the only smart thing to do is go contracting. I have had enough of the politics, ridiculous hours, no reward blah blah. I simply want to do my work and be paid. Surely you can empathise?
                    I’ve published a down loadable book “How to be an IT Contractor” It is only £75. Are you interested?

Comment

Working...
                    X