• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which one of you is it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which one of you is it?

Some one man band contractor guy broke down crying on 5 live because HMRC bent him over.

Originally posted by proggy View Post
    Some one man band contractor guy broke down crying on 5 live because HMRC bent him over.
    Not SB, he'd enjoy that...

Comment

Did he deserve it?
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        Did he deserve it?
        They did a spot check and found he had small things like petrol receipts wrong, then he hadn't invoiced one of he clients, he got a bill for a few hundred grand. He spent 2 years savings and 50k fighting it and he won. At that point he started bedwetting.

Comment

They did a spot check and found he had small things like petrol receipts wrong, then he hadn't invoiced one of he clients, he got a bill for a few hundred grand. He spent 2 years savings and 50k fighting it and he won. At that point he started bedwetting.
          You mean he had not invoiced a client and just took cash in hand?
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

This is it

BBC News - Man describes how he was chased for money he did not owe

Comment

Thirty odd years ago when I was self employed the business failed. I did not claim any benefits. Six months later I started up again and I received a tax bill for the time not working. The Inland Revenue said it was payable because if I was not working, I should have claimed benefits. I had to pay up.

Stupidly, brother in-law was losing money on his shop for ten years in the hope that he could eventually make a profit and sell it. Despite loses of over £200,000 and audited accounts, the Inland Revenue estimated his “profits” and took him to Court. He will be paying the Inland Revenue for the rest of his life for money he never owed. He refuses to go bankrupt (silly bugger)
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Thirty odd years ago when I was self employed the business failed. I did not claim any benefits. Six months later I started up again and I received a tax bill for the time not working. The Inland Revenue said it was payable because if I was not working, I should have claimed benefits. I had to pay up.

Stupidly, brother in-law was losing money on his shop for ten years in the hope that he could eventually make a profit and sell it. Despite loses of over £200,000 and audited accounts, the Inland Revenue estimated his “profits” and took him to Court. He will be paying the Inland Revenue for the rest of his life for money he never owed. He refuses to go bankrupt (silly bugger)
                I was self employed many years ago, then left the country. I came back 6 years later to find a tax bill for the year after I left. I write to hector, saying, sorry about your mistake, but, etc, etc and they wrote back saying I had to pay it or go to court. Eh? Ended up paying it, only to then have to go to court to ask them to return it, which they did, eventually.

I hate them, loathe them.

Comment

Sounds like he had his life completely destroyed by this, tragic
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Not invoicing one of his clients, so did the client pay? Or did he neglect to pay the CT on it? If it was £200K's worth of CT he hadn't paid, then that would have been a £million invoice he forgot to send.

All sounds more than a little dubious. Is this different from the people who signed up to obviously dodgy off-shore loan schemes who now claim their lives are ruined by having to pay the tax they should have paid in the first place?
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X