• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prison

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prison

Been watching some prison documentaries on YouTube, America's toughest, Russia's toughest etc. Grim places and some sad people and many who deserve not to be any other place.

I've seen the inside of three prisons - I installed the first network in a famous Glasgow prison although I never did get to do the promised tour of the blocks. I stayed a couple of nights at this place in Canada;

Ottowa Jail

Quite fun as you stay in a genuine US style jail cell with bars. I've also visited Kilmainham Gaol which is a museum worth visiting if you're in Dublin.

Anybody visited or stayed in prisons as a client or otherwise?
    Me, me, me...

There was a documentary about prisoners getting out on the Beeb a couple of weeks back. Desperately sad - no effort at all to ensure that the people were equipped for 'life outside'

Had a mate who worked at Broadmoor as an Occupational Therapist. He genuinely loved his job.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      I installed the first network in a famous Glasgow prison
      Was it really required by the Human Rights Act to provide networked gaming experience for the inmates?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Was it really required by the Human Rights Act to provide networked gaming experience for the inmates?
        Doom if I remember correctly. It prepared them for life outside
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Desperately sad - no effort at all to ensure that the people were equipped for 'life outside'
          And that seems to be a common theme.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            Doom if I remember correctly. It prepared them for life outside
            Ah, Rehabilitation of Offenders Act ... that's fine then!

Comment

I came close to getting 28 days for non-payment of the poll tax. I think the letter from the court said something like 'sentencing suspended for the cheque to clear'.

Comment

Jeffrey Archer wrote three very interesting books on his own experience of prison for Perjury, the best one of which is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prison-Diary.../dp/0330418599

Another one titled "Bang-em up" is written by an ex UK prison officer and is well worth reading:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bang-em-Vang.../dp/1843865602

UK prisons provide TV's, books, newspapers, gyms, and decent basic food to prisoners. They are hardly what I would see as a punishment, and indeed should HMRC come knocking I would rather send my money offshore and do a spell inside, than let them have my loot..

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  I would rather send my money offshore and do a spell inside, than let them have my loot..

Comment

We are all in prison, our jobs where we need to send 8 hours a day in a communal cell.

Can't wait till I "get out".

Comment

Working...
                    X