• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Great Sporting Moments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Sporting Moments

Have you attended any sporting occasion that has gone down in the annals of that sport's history as being a defining moment? England v Germany in 1966 perhaps? Or maybe the 2003 rugby world cup?

I have.

A chum of mine used to work for a leading golf outfitter and had been promising me for years to get me in to one of the big events at which his company provided sponsorship. Then, one day in 2001, onto my doormat dropped an envelope - the contents of which informed me that I was to be spending the final day's play of the 2001 Volvo PGA Championship in the clubhouse on the 18th at Wentworth.

And what a day it was. You may recall the controversy surrounding the comments made by a number of golfing hacks about Andrew Oldcorn, the leader by 5 strokes at the end of the 3rd round, as being "mediocre" and a "journeyman pro" mushrooms. Well, the air was abuzz that morning as I ensconced myself in the clubhouse for a few sherbets in anticipation of watching the tournament leaders sink their final putts on the 18th. There was a real clamouring for Oldcorn to maintain his lead after the disparaging remarks and the fact that Nick Faldo was snapping at his heels raised the level of tension even more.

Anyhow, suffice to say that I was greenside to watch Oldcorn sink his winning putt and, if you watch the footage of that shot on TV, the inebriated cry of "Get in the hole!" as the ball tooters towards the flag comes from the mouth of none other than yours truly himself.

What a day. Here's a pic of Andrew celebrating his famous victory:

Great Sporting Moments

I saw Frank Worthington score 'that' goal against Ipswich in 1979.

What a beautiful Worthington Goal!

http://youtu.be/-sAZJtl6Qz0

Comment

Great Sporting Moments

And my Dad and Uncle where at this game, unfortunately not remembered for football reasons...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnden_Park_disaster

Comment

I saw Tim Buzaglo score a Hat-trick for Woking against West Brom in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup in 1991.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Great Sporting Moments

Saw Joy Division at BIT Bolton 78 or 79 and Ian Curtis had a spastic attack and kicked this punter in the face, it was mostly accidental...

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
            Have you attended any sporting occasion that has gone down in the annals of that sport's history as being a defining moment?
            Yes. Paula Radcliffe in the London Marathon in 2005.

She stopped at the side of the road where I was a spectating and pee'd on my shoes.

She then stood up, regrouped and went on to win.

A classic.

(EDIT: I still have those shoes. I've never washed them. They will go to my children.)
            Last edited by nomadd; 28 April 2013, 17:41.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
              Yes. Paula Radcliffe in the London Marathon in 2005.

She stopped at the side of the road where I was a spectating and pee'd on my shoes.

She then stood up, regrouped and went on to win.

A classic.

(EDIT: I still have those shoes. I've never washed them. They will go to my children.)
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Managed to get to Edgbaston in time to see Brian Lara's last 50 runs in the 501 world record.

England v Australia 1998-1999 Ashes in Melbourne - England won by 12 runs with Dean Headley and Darren Gough removing the lower order for for about 10 runs whilst Steve Waugh watched in horror from the other end.

South Africa v Australia WC Semi-final Edgbaston 1999 - Saffers blew a winning position and scores were tied after Allan Donald ran himself out.

England V Australia Edgbaston 2005 - all 4 days. Without question the best game of cricket I ever saw and England winning by 2 runs when all seemed lost.

You can probably tell I'm a cricket fan (Warwickshire member) but I seem to have been lucky enough to see some pretty good games over the years.

Comment

Great Sporting Moments

I was at the 1995 Bolton Reading Play Off Final, 4-3. 2-0 down and a penalty against us after about 25 mins and Keith Brannigan saved it. Whole atmos changed and the rest is history (in Bolton).

Comment

I saw Lionel Messi score 5 goals in a Champions League match against Bayer Leverkusen last year in the Nou Camp. He was completely unplayable.

Comment

Working...
                    X