• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Put your mouth where your money is

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put your mouth where your money is

Reg hack to starve on £1 a day FOR SCIENCE ? The Register
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

£5 a day I reckon I could just about do. £1 a day I'd end up malnourished.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

There's a bit of a difference between living off £1 a day, and feeding yourself for £1 a day. The latter doesn't sound all that hard, at least not for 5 days. I reckon I could get through 5 days on toast and marmite sandwiches.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        There's a bit of a difference between living off £1 a day, and feeding yourself for £1 a day. The latter doesn't sound all that hard, at least not for 5 days. I reckon I could get through 5 days on toast and marmite sandwiches.
        I reckon I could last for 5 days, probably using a mix of spuds, onions, rice, pasta, canned toms.

But I'd be "cheating" by using stuff I usually have a good stock of like olive oil, herbs and spices.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Large bag of cheapo rice.

Cheapo baked beans.

Stuff priced down at the end of the day.

You could survive on it, but it wouldn't be much fun.

Comment

Just looked at their recipe book.

I could survive on porridge, bean burger & chips, veggie chilli, and a baked banana every day for a week.

Which appears to be £1.23 a day - bugger, failed again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              But I'd be "cheating" by using stuff I usually have a good stock of like olive oil, herbs and spices.
              It's not really cheating. If you really were having to feed yourself on £1 a day, you would buy things that last in large quantities and keep them for months. As MS says, big bag of rice would be the obvious thing. I imagine getting enough fresh food, and using it before it goes off would be the challenge, especially if you're doing it by yourself.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Those recipes look awful. Try A Girl Called Jack instead (she did this for months, not days).
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Well that's it sorted for flavour. 99p

But do you lick the spoon?
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    Those recipes look awful. Try A Girl Called Jack instead (she did this for months, not days).
                    Saw her on breakfast news on Saturday, the meals sounded awful. Most of it was from value ingredients so cannot imagine there was much nutritional value in most of what she ate.

Used to have feck all to live off as a student, learned very quickly that the veg stall holders at the market would practically give away the veg at the end of the day. Also if you went to the butcher there were certain types of meat that wouldn't sell, so used to get free oxtail, pigs trotters and lambs hearts. And of course heading to the supermarkets to get what they had priced down before they closed at the end of the day.
                    Its also learning to use leftovers effectively, roast chicken on Sunday is effectively 3 more meals and stock or soup.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X