• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone know of a good solicitor to get money owed paid by a company?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did some work for a company who are now refusing to pay what they agreed in the contract. Does anyone know a good solicitor or a process for getting money owed by this company finally paid?

We have been asked this quite a few times and it appears doing it properly seems to get them to cough up. Depends on whether or not this money is in dispute, they are just slow paying it or they are just about to fold.

Google the term 'Dunning'
    Have a look at payontime.co.uk
    Search the forums for other methods people used to get a result. Search method is described here..

http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html

Once you start quoting the charges and interest you are due they will know you mean business and hopefully change their attitude...

If they are disputing the time or there is a problem with the work done then that might another issue....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd go direct to the solicitors letter if I were you. I used Lovetts last time, quite effectively as it turned out.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        I'd go direct to the solicitors letter if I were you. I used Lovetts last time, quite effectively as it turned out.
        That seems a really good site. Lots of information on there. Nice PDF on the legislation as well..

http://www.lovetts.co.uk/news/briefi...ment_guide.pdf
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just quickly...

I can vouch for payontime.co.uk to start the ball rolling (you'll need to sign up for a free account to access the calculator). Was recommended it a few days back here, sent an invoice with extra late fees tacked on (and a promise that they wouldn't have to pay them if they paid my original amount today) which coupled with some additional legalese worked a treat.

How late are the company with payment, and is it for deliverables/milestones or just time worked?

Comment

Originally posted by terrythompson View Post

I did some work for a company who are now refusing to pay what they agreed in the contract. Does anyone know a good solicitor or a process for getting money owed by this company finally paid?
            Quick question, what reasons (if any) are they giving for non-payment? Do they have a dispute (real or imagined)?
            The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Working...
            X