• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Build savings or chip away at mortgage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build savings or chip away at mortgage

We've just bought a new house after renting previously, and chose to take a bigger loan (85%) in order to keep a sensible warchest intact (about a year).

My wife has a steady job and while I'm in work, we earn far faster than we spend. Obviously different people have different definitions of a 'safe' level of warchest but assuming you achieve this, would you continue to build savings or would you maintain the warchest and pay every spare pound into the mortgage since every pound you overpay early on could save you £2 in interest?

Our mortgage is not an offset but allows overpayments of £20k a year (as well as payment holidays). Locked in for two years.

To me the fact interest is calculated daily means I should try to overpay whenever I can, even every month rather than saving up and making a single end-of-year payment, but what do the rest of you lot reckon is the best approach?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Depends on whether you can get the overpayment back from the mortgage company if you need it, but generally I think if you've got enough cash savings built up then overpayment is best.

A standing order every month works for me - I can do up to £500 per month, which means more when I've got surplus cash and just £5 when feeling a bit poor or don't know when the next job is turning up.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      We've just bought a new house after renting previously, and chose to take a bigger loan (85%) in order to keep a sensible warchest intact (about a year).

My wife has a steady job and while I'm in work, we earn far faster than we spend. Obviously different people have different definitions of a 'safe' level of warchest but assuming you achieve this, would you continue to build savings or would you maintain the warchest and pay every spare pound into the mortgage since every pound you overpay early on could save you £2 in interest?

Our mortgage is not an offset but allows overpayments of £20k a year (as well as payment holidays). Locked in for two years.

To me the fact interest is calculated daily means I should try to overpay whenever I can, even every month rather than saving up and making a single end-of-year payment, but what do the rest of you lot reckon is the best approach?
      Doing something similar, bought the mortgage term down to 10 years, which means I am paying 50% a month more on an ongoing basis. On a 2 yr fixed which allows 10% over-payments a year, I will make this payment as soon as I can (allowing for 3 months outgoings in the war chest at all times). I will then continue to build it up to the next 10% payment next year. Once that is paid the next payment will be as big a chunk as I can once the fixed rate is over. By my calculations it means I should get it all paid off in 3 - 4 years (hopefully!)
      Last edited by kal; 29 April 2013, 16:25.

Comment

What is your mortgage rate? Would you be better putting some of it in an ISA at an equal or better rate that you can dip in to in an Emergency while the 2 year locked in runs down?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Always get rid of debt before doing any savings

HTH
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

In general pay off mortgage would be my advice.
            But get an offset mortgage so essentially you are doing this automatically.
            And keep putting an amount away in a warchest.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              In general pay off mortgage would be my advice.
              But get an offset mortgage so essentially you are doing this automatically.
              And keep putting an amount away in a warchest.
              Thing about offsets is that those nefarious banks always charge you a higher interest rate for the privilege!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                What is your mortgage rate? Would you be better putting some of it in an ISA at an equal or better rate that you can dip in to in an Emergency while the 2 year locked in runs down?
                I'd have to run the numbers but my guess is on a mortgage rate of 3.x%, Vs the 2% you can get on an ISA if you need access to the money, paying off would be better, especially since the mortgage payments come down the moment you make the overpayment?

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Always get rid of debt before doing any savings

HTH
                Surely as a contractor that doesn't make total sense, you have to retain savings - one wouldn't stick their warchest as an overpayment (unless you can DEFINITELY get it back out). Or were you specifically meaning long-term savings i.e. not including the warchest?

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
                  Thing about offsets is that those nefarious banks always charge you a higher interest rate for the privilege!
                  Yes - only get an offset if you actually have the savings to USE the offset. This time round we'd have had to use all our savings to get the LTV down enough we could get a half-decent offset mortgage, so we're better on a standard mortgage for 2 years with the possibility to save up and get an offset later. Although if we overpay heavily for the next 2 years we might still not have savings, BUT we'll need a much smaller mortgage in two years which is equally good.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I'd have to run the numbers but my guess is on a mortgage rate of 3.x%, Vs the 2% you can get on an ISA if you need access to the money, paying off would be better, especially since the mortgage payments come down the moment you make the overpayment?
                    Another factor is the compound effect of ISAs - you can't put in this year's allowance next year. If the difference was as little as 1%, I'd be inclined to keep it in the ISA tax-free vehicle. For anything outside an ISA, then yes, better off paying down the mortgage once you have enough warchest.

If I redeemed my cash ISA's, I could completely clear the mortgage at a stroke, but my ISA is paying a higher rate than my fixed rate mortgage (just), so it makes no sense to do so.

Comment

Working...
                    X