• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

hark at her

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hark at her

Continued lack of women in tech bemoaned by ex-techie lady MP ? The Register

'Women would never have made automated supermarket tills'

idiot?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

She does have a point though: " ....it is imperative that ICT graduates from its current position as an exclusively male eccentricity.”

That's very true, IT is too important to be left in the hand of the weirdos, freaks, nutters, cretins and virgins who populate CUK.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I think she has a point, up to a point. Although surely if instead of a machine there is a woman is on the till that counts as a woman in ict?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        She does have a point though: " ....it is imperative that ICT graduates from its current position as an exclusively male eccentricity.”

That's very true, IT is too important to be left in the hand of the weirdos, freaks, nutters, cretins and virgins who populate CUK.
        Maybe CUK should be renamed to AspergersUK

Women, rightly, probably think working in software development means working with a bunch of smelly, socially awkward geeks who would lose all composure when confronted with a fairly attractive female.
        Last edited by proggy; 30 April 2013, 08:51.

Comment

Originally posted by proggy View Post

Women, rightly, probably think working in software development means working with a bunch of smelly, socially awkward geeks who would lose all composure when confronted with a fairly attractive female.
          Maybe in your world!
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by proggy View Post

Very true. I can count the number of technically good IT people who can also communicate at board level and have the social skills to network at the highest level on one hand. Actually I don't need a whole hand - apart from me there's only only one other person (who I'd say was not a technical bull-tulipter) who I've seen who can do it.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Very true. I can count the number of technically good IT people who can also communicate at board level and have the social skills to network at the highest level on one hand. Actually I don't need a whole hand - apart from me there's only only one other person (who I'd say was not a technical bull-tulipter) who I've seen who can do it.
              That's because what's needed at board level is a technical bulltulipter who glosses over the details, and that doesn't make a technically good IT person.

The bigger problem IMO is that there are so few technically good people at board level.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                That's because what's needed at board level is a technical bulltulipter who glosses over the details, and that doesn't make a technically good IT person.

The bigger problem IMO is that there are so few technically good people at board level.
                And the reason is they would be laughed out of a board room, walking in with their star wars shirt and mumbling a few incoherent over technical comments.

Comment

only because the other board members would do this to cover their own hopeless inadequcies when it comes to understanding tech

my biggest gripe with our current exec team is that no one underatands technology so they come out with some great ideas - but they are technically infeasibkle

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

Your first point is wrong and contradicted by your second which is correct.
                    We don't need technical bulltulipters at board level (there are plenty of those already). We need good techies who can communicate important concepts in technical terms and have the balls, personality and credibility to put their view across.

You're right about there not being many of those.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X