• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The most impatient guy in Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was tootling along a straight empty road this morning, slowing down to negotiate large speed humps every few feet, when I noticed a small Postman Pat style red van ducking and weaving impossibly close behind me, which hadn't been visible as even a speck on the horizon a few seconds earlier.

As we approached a row of cars parked along the opposide side of the road, this maniac started trying to overtake. It was completely obvious he wouldn't have room, so I speeded up slightly to dissuade him.

Nothing daunted, he then charged onto the opposite pavement and bombed along this between the parked cars and the garden walls, and in fairness he was gaining on me as I continued driving the conventional way on the road.

But in his haste to drive a five foot wide van down a five foot one inch gap, at 40 MPH, he overlooked one small detail - Side mirrors, his own and those on the parked cars. I couldn't see exactly what happened but there was a terrific crash and rending noise, and I would guess the parked cars all had a huge gash gouged down their driver's sides, and as the lunatic popped out the other end and bounced back onto the road, he had smashed his passenger side window. and had a gash down his van.

After an uncertain second or two, he then went hairing off down a side street to the right and that was the last I saw of him, but not before I got his reg number.

I'm sure it's no more than a coincidence that there's a gypsy site a mile back down the road, not far from my lodgings, and unthinkable that anyone from there would be driving well over the limit at 8:30 in the morning.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

1)Did this really happen?
    2)If he drives like that how was the van not totally smashed up already?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      1)Did this really happen?
      It did, exactly as I described it.

The same occurred to me, but I concluded he was pissed or high on something.

Also, he'll be the one totally smashed up if it was his big brother's van

(I didn't have time to catch sight of the guy, but presumably it was a he!)
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        It was probably stolen.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I hate slow drivers as well, as dangerous as speeders.

Comment

Reminded me of… many years ago one evening I was driving to town; not in a hurry I decided to do 28mph. About half a dozen cars were queuing behind. A 'T' junction was about ¼ mile ahead where traffic turn left to go to town. However, there is a shortcut left known to the locals.

I looked in the mirror and saw all six cars frantically turn off to the short cut at which time I booted it like Paddy Hopkirk , left at the T Junction and past the end of the shortcut. I then slowed down to 28mph again. All six cars now following me again.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

As I've mentioned before if you want to experience road rage just drive to speed limits.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by proggy View Post
                I hate slow drivers as well, as dangerous as speeders.
                I drive a couple of mph below the speed limit (as a moment's distraction can take you over the limit if you drive on the limit )

There doesn't seem to be too many loonies around who need to overtake but they're welcome to if they do...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  I drive a couple of mph below the speed limit (as a moment's distraction can take you over the limit if you drive on the limit )

There doesn't seem to be too many loonies around who need to overtake but they're welcome to if they do...
                  Im talking about people going 50mph on a motorway or 20mph on a 30.

Comment

on Saturday I was doing 69 on the motorway in middle lane overtaking HGVs, the amount of people that came up behind me at 80+ was scary.

drivers in the UK are scary.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X