• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Registering for VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registering for VAT

Is it a huge hassle to be VAT registered without necesserily having required turnover (I think IR encourages small firms to register in any case)?

The benefits are obvious - nice discount on stuff purchased, and the downside is low so long as its big (ie registered for VAT themselves) businesses contract/buy your services.

VAT is pretty easy. Registering is easy and the quarterly form is easy.

Comment

So its not a lot of added hassle (for poor accoutant should I say)?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        So its not a lot of added hassle (for poor accoutant should I say)?
        It gets you on HMCE radar which is best avoided if possible.
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
          It gets you on HMCE radar which is best avoided if possible.
          Yes thats what I am thinking, just feeling that its not worth to do it to save few hundred quid, only if benefit (payback of spend VAT) measured in many thousands.

Comment

Are you telling me you dont meet the minimum income for compulsory VAT registration?
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

No, otherwise I would HAVE TO register. AFAIK IR is kind enough to let people register even if they dont meet standard, they ought to love people VAT registered because it will bring extra tax in.

Comment

You poor poor pauper.......... what on earth are you playing at........... and what are you doing on a contractors forum?
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Get yourself registed and get on the Flat Rate Scheme. You charge VAT to clients at the normal rate but get a discount on what you pay to the VAT man. Can save get you a few hundred pounds a month extra in your pocket.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Lone: FOAD.

DaveB: yes VAT flat-rate scheme seems the main option, but I am now thinking its not worth it just now, perhaps in a few months.

I was just trying to find legal ways to reduce per unit price of some thing that I want to buy for business purposes

Comment

Working...
                    X