• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66/S58 update

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BN66/S58 update

It's already covered in the retro tax thread but this seemed to deserve more general attention:

Repeal 'devastating' tax rule Section 58, MPs tell Osborne :: Contractor UK
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Well, hired lobbysts for the BN66 crowd certainly earned their money.
    Last edited by AtW; 1 May 2013, 15:58.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Well, hired lobbysts for the BN66 crowd certainly earned their money.
      You disapprove? It is pretty shocking you have to spend money to defend your perfectly legal actions.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        You disapprove? It is pretty shocking you have to spend money to defend your perfectly legal actions.
        I was making a compliment on quality of their lobbysts (sounded like they were good value for money if they could take it that far) - I've written down the name of the firm

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          I was making a compliment on quality of their lobbysts (sounded like they were good value for money if they could take it that far) - I've written down the name of the firm
          Ah I thought you were making a dig I was dubious about paying for this kind of thing but you're right, they do seem effective.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I was dubious about paying for this kind of thing but you're right, they do seem effective.
            Some of the people behind BN66 crowd are pretty high quality.

Comment

It is an impressive list, given they are from 5 parties. The name that really surprises me is Caroline Lucas. She's a hard leftie - and has been very critical on tax avoidance, demanding the government clamp down on it hard instead of making any cuts.

The other sobering thought is that it appears to get any progress on political matters - you have to spend money on high paid lobbyists. All this BS about democracy being free and open to all...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

<Zeity in "I live in Neath Port Talbot, the home of Lord Engine Driver of immortal memory" mode>
                Who....Ivor?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                  The other sobering thought is that it appears to get any progress on political matters - you have to spend money on high paid lobbyists. All this BS about democracy being free and open to all...
                  Democracy being free and open to all means you get to have a vote every 5 years. It doesn't mean a small minority gets to have its way.

If you want democracy, perhaps we should have a referrendum on the issue. "Should people who used dodgy offshore loan schemes to pay very low levels of tax have to pay the money back?" How much public support do you think you'd get for your cause?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

That's why we have elected officials rather than following mob whim.

Comment

Working...
                    X