• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you look down on colleagues who don't have an iPhone/Samsung Smart Phone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you look down on colleagues who don't have an iPhone/Samsung Smart Phone?

I am pressurised from various quarters’ to buy an iPhone/Samsung smart phone. I am not keen to buy one because I don’t use my mobile for anything other than to make & receive calls. For that my Blackberry (yesterday’s hotty!) is more than sufficient. Moreover I don’t want to carry a bulky phone always in my pocket. Most of my colleagues have either iPhone or Samsung (many got both). Now I have been told not having one is a ‘serious’ social stigma!

BTW I can afford to buy one if needed.

Should the people around me force me to buy an iPhone/Samsung Smart Phone?

Do you look down on colleagues that don't have one of these? Or I am surrounded by Gadget nerds?

Thanks.

Do you keep you reading glasses on a string round your neck?
    if yes then I wouldn't worry about the smart phone

if no then just bite the bullet and get an iphone (cheap second hand) you might start to look like a bit of a luddite otherwise
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

thanks..

Comment

My LtdCo phone is this:

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

F**k - is this Mumsnet?

Do you need a smart phone? No? Do you want a smart phone? No?
          The bigger boys in the playground are just trying to bully you. Tell 'em to go **** themselves and you should grow a pair.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

It's nobody else's business what people choose to have or not have. Tell them to sod off.

I often wish it was possible to have an iPhone without the phone bit, as I don't like using the phone. (No, an iPod Touch won't do as it doesn't have a 3G data connection.) Idiotic antiquated Victorian technology. We don't travel on steam trains or listen to wax cylinders anymore, so why do people insist on talking to each other when they're not there? We have email and SMS now. Much better.

And don't get me started on phones in offices. "Hey, here's a device we put on your desk whether you want it or not that anybody can use to interrupt you at any time no matter how inconvenient that might be. And it makes a loud noise until you stop whatever task you were engaged in and switch your attention to it. No, you can't turn it off when you really need to focus on a difficult task, or ignore it when something else is occupying your full attention. That would be a terrible impediment to efficiency." Bloody stupid idea

Comment

I look down on people who have iPhones. Consumer victims the lot of 'em.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I didn't want an iPhone because I'm special and different, but I have one now.

The story is .... Me and her were upgrading phones a while back and she wanted an iPhone, so we got her an iPhone 4 and me a Blackberry Torch. Got home and I set up her phone first. So smooth to do everything - office email, wireless connection etc, was done is seconds. Then it was the turn of the Blackberry Torch ...... java errors, couldn't even see the mail server, let alone talk to it, stupid blackberry server somewhere ...... I gave up after an hour and took it back to the shop and swapped it for an iPhone. Now we have his and her phones. Very sad. But I must say I like it.

Also have an S3 for plan B business - good, but again, not as swish as the iPhone 4 IMO. Might get an s4 to play with.

Bought a Nokia 100 for an older relative the other day. Does the trick for them. Amazingly inexpensive and huge standby time.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I look down on people who have iPhones. Consumer victims the lot of 'em.
                  +1
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    F**k - is this Mumsnet?

Do you need a smart phone? No? Do you want a smart phone? No?
                    The bigger boys in the playground are just trying to bully you. Tell 'em to go **** themselves and you should grow a pair.

+1
                    Growing old is mandatory
                    Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                    X