• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pah Amateurs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pah Amateurs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5179178.stm

Beer gut bill tops four figures

Drinking beer can do this to you....

The average British male spends £1,144 per year cultivating his beer gut, research shows.

That equates to 5% of the average take home pay spent on beer and post-booze snacks such as kebabs.

The study, by private medical insurer PruHealth, found salesmen are the biggest boozers, spending £1,560 per year on drink and snacks.

Obesity is linked to a range of health problems, including heart disease and diabetes.

AVERAGE WEEKLY SPEND ON ALCOHOL
    London; £22
    Rest of South: £18
    Midlands/Wales: £17
    Scotland: £17

The research, based on interviews with 2,476 men, shows nearly a quarter (22%) of men go out drinking at least two nights a week - and among those aged under 29 the figure rises to 31%.

Men say they spend an average of £22 on booze and junk food in a typical week.

However, 7% - around 1.7m men nationwide - say they regularly down £40 worth of drink a week, and over £10 on fast food.

Londoners spent over £40 week a week on alcohol alone on average - with 2% admitting to spending at least £80 a week.

The Scots are keen boozers too, with 4% regularly spending between £100 and £150 per week.

Single boozers

Single men on average tend to spend more on booze - £25 - during the week than married or co-habiting men.

BIG BOOZERS
    London: 13% spend more than £40 a week
    Rest of South: 8%
    Midlands/Wales: 6%
    North: 8%
    Scotland: 5%

Men who are in a relationship but who don't live with their partner spend an average of £23 per week, while married men say they spend just £15 on average.

Salesmen spend noticeably more than any other profession, with one in 20 shelling out £80 to £150 every week.

They are also the profession most likely to be found in the pub most nights of the week.

Dr Chris Dark, medical director at PruHealth, said: "We asked men whether they were worried about having a beer belly and over a third said they were.

"Yet these findings reveal that a significant number of men are clearly investing time and money on cultivating their guts. "While it is fine for everyone to enjoy a drink and snack in moderation, my concern is that men are not realising the long-term implications for their health that storing excessive fat around the belly can have. "The notorious beer gut can be the start of much more serious health problems, like diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease."

I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

£3 a pint here in Cambridge!

Bastards!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
      £3 a pint here in Cambridge!

Bastards!

Quite. You can drink cheaper in Switzerland.

(as long as you avoid English/Irish style theme pubs)
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Thats about one months worth. I still spend £100 on beer a week and ive cut down!
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Do those figures take into account the relative prices..? I would imagine a pint in London would set you back a lot more than a bottle of Buckfast....

Those amounts sound far too small to me... a single night on the champers and thats the apparent budget for the year....
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
          X