• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to find compass bearing to my TV transmitter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to find compass bearing to my TV transmitter

My new house has no TV point in my study and I am wondering if I can get away with a portable aerial in the short term... but it depends what side of the house the transmitter is. Is there a site that will tell me the bearing to my local mast?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    My new house has no TV point in my study and I am wondering if I can get away with a portable aerial in the short term... but it depends what side of the house the transmitter is. Is there a site that will tell me the bearing to my local mast?
    ITV region maps

And you'll need a compass.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

By the wonders of google:

Mounting A Terrestrial TV Aerial In The UK - 3 Aerial Alignment Calculator (with internet mapping)

Gosh.

My aerial is just about right.

I'm amazed.
      Last edited by zeitghost; 25 May 2017, 14:49.

Comment

What a great site.

And by some happy coincidence, Google maps my postcode exactly on top of MY house rather than elsewhere on the street.

Comment

See which way the neighbours' aerials are pointing?
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            See which way the neighbours' aerials are pointing?
            It's a conservation area, they have to be hidden in the roofs. I could clamber into the loft but that would only show where the best transmitter is, whereas I want to know if there is a transmitter I can 'see' from my office window which has maybe 120 degrees of sight.

Comment

Don't you just find the nearest tree and check which side the moss is growing on or summat?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I'd try and source a true digital aerial. The one we had, pre sky, was tiny, I mean maybe 4/5 inches long and was perfect. It was also omni directional.

Comment

Portable aerials are pretty crap imo. Even with a booster you'll still likely end up with a grainey picture. Roof space mounted aerials work well (I have one in my loft instead of outside like all my neighbours!) because the signal only has to go through a tile and a bit of felt.

But, in a room, the signal has to penetrate a brick, cavity wall that likely has insulation if a relatively new build, breeze block and a dry lined wall. Not good!

IMO, your options are limited. Once you get that net connection sorted and, if your tv is capable, the best option would be a powerline plug from a BT box or similar. Otherwise, I'd say a roof space mounted aerial with co axial cable drop into the study.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    Portable aerials are pretty crap imo. Even with a booster you'll still likely end up with a grainey picture. Roof space mounted aerials work well (I have one in my loft instead of outside like all my neighbours!) because the signal only has to go through a tile and a bit of felt.

But, in a room, the signal has to penetrate a brick, cavity wall that likely has insulation if a relatively new build, breeze block and a dry lined wall. Not good!

IMO, your options are limited. Once you get that net connection sorted and, if your tv is capable, the best option would be a powerline plug from a BT box or similar. Otherwise, I'd say a roof space mounted aerial with co axial cable drop into the study.
                    I've used portable before and while they are often dodgy they can be OK - and for my office it's not a priority Obviously if you have a decent transmitter in range you can do much better.

We have a roof aerial with sockets on ground and 2nd floor but none on first floor. I'm sure a handyman could get an additional socket (I know the more sockets the worse it gets) but I thought while we're getting settled in I might try the easy option first - in a couple of weeks I should be able to get TV over the internet as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X