• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Proof of Business Account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proof of Business Account

At the risk of incurring NLUK's wrath, a quick question.

An agency I have worked with before (from December 2012 to March this year) have found me another contract. I've been chasing them to get the contract over, and it finally looks like it's coming today. However, one thing came up which I haven't seen before. Along with saying they "need" a signed copy of the Opt Out form (not happening) they've said they need proof that my business account is in the company name - either by way of a bank statement (they're not getting this), confirmation of the account being set up, or a blank cheque. Apparently this is to conform with money laundering regulations.

I've never been asked for any of these before. Has anyone else? I'm starting to get the feeling that they're just stalling - which isn't good since I'm meant to start my role on Tuesday and need to get the contract reviewed first.

Never been asked before. You could give them your Bank name and account number to confirm them self from the bank..!

Comment

Yeah, it seems a little fishy to me. I've scanned a cheque and sent that back, just so they have no excuse to delay any further (although I'm waiting for the inevitable arguement over Opt Out). Getting close to me calling the client and warning them that I may not be there on Tuesday due to the delays. A shame, as I've worked with this agency a few times before and never had a problem, and the agent seems to bring me a few roles.

Comment

Unfortunately HMRC's guidance here

HM Revenue & Customs: Your day-to-day responsibilities under Money Laundering Regulations

does say

Customer due diligence when you're establishing a business relationship
        A business relationship is one that you enter into with a customer where you both expect that the relationship will be ongoing. It can be a formal or an informal arrangement.
        When you establish a new business relationship you need to obtain information on:
        the purpose of the relationship
        the intended nature of the relationship - for example where funds will come from, the purpose of transactions, and so on
        The type of information that you need to obtain may include:
        details of your customer's business or employment
        the source and origin of funds that your customer will be using in the relationship
        copies of recent and current financial statements
        details of the relationships between signatories and any underlying beneficial owners
        the expected level and type of activity that will take place in your relationship
        so could be assumed to be reasonable to ask for this.

Personally I would sent a bank statement with the transactions in the middle blanked out and concentrate on the opt out fight you are going to have.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for that NLUK.

What seemed strange to me is that we've done business before, I've provided all neccessary documents to them before, been paid by them before, etc, so why they're asking for this information now, and not on previous contracts.

But like you say, now I'll just need to get through the Opt Out arguement. Last time I said to them I wouldn't opt out they just said "OK" (which surprised me). As I'm meant to start Tuesday, hopefully any arguing can be curtailed by me saying "guess I'll give the client a courtesy call to explain why I won't be there".

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
            Thanks for that NLUK.

What seemed strange to me is that we've done business before, I've provided all neccessary documents to them before, been paid by them before, etc, so why they're asking for this information now, and not on previous contracts.

But like you say, now I'll just need to get through the Opt Out arguement. Last time I said to them I wouldn't opt out they just said "OK" (which surprised me). As I'm meant to start Tuesday, hopefully any arguing can be curtailed by me saying "guess I'll give the client a courtesy call to explain why I won't be there".
            Personally I would be careful about calling clients you haven't even started with TBH. The first impression could be you are a trouble maker. Let the client and the agent fight it out and you just turn up as instructed and everything is ready IMO.

Many people seem to forget that part of Opting in is the agents are committed to more stringent checks and are obliged to check references, qualifications etc. Kinda funny when people want to opt in then complain about agents taking references.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Personally I would be careful about calling clients you haven't even started with TBH. The first impression could be you are a trouble maker. Let the client and the agent fight it out and you just turn up as instructed and everything is ready IMO.

Many people seem to forget that part of Opting in is the agents are committed to more stringent checks and are obliged to check references, qualifications etc. Kinda funny when people want to opt in then complain about agents taking references.
              Yeah, I get that. The problem of course is that I won't be turning up as (verbally) instructed unless I have a contract in place.

Like I say, my issue is more that I've done business with this agency before (and never had problems), so this time it feels like they're stalling. It could be that they don't have a contract in place with the client yet, that they know there's something in my contract I won't like and are trying to use time as pressure, or that for some reason they don't want to allow enough time for a contract review - or it could just be that they're having some admin delays at their end, who knows. I guess we'll see if / when the contract comes through - which apparently will be just after lunch.

Comment

I've been asked for this before. Nothing sinister. Just sent them a pdf of a bank statement with the transactions blanked out.
                Blood in your poo

Comment

Well, thankfully the contract actually came through, and with no nasty surprises in it. Of course, with the timescales it means I'm having to pay QDOS to prioritise the review (one of my 3 freebies) instead of leaving it with them. They're normally quick, but better safe than sorry.

I wouldn't have even raised the query about the bank account if it wasn't for having worked through, and been paid by, this agency before in the last 6 months - that's what made it seem strange. A scan of a blank cheque was enough though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                    I've been asked for this before. Nothing sinister. Just sent them a pdf of a bank statement with the transactions blanked out.
                    This +1. Many contractors I have spoken to do this. One guy when asked to show account details (for ID, not biz acc) had a dormant acc with 1p in it and he would give the pimp a pdf of that.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                    X