• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting as a big "hitter" :-)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting as a big "hitter" :-)

How is contracting as a big "hitter" (to paraphrase what Chico once said)?

What springs to my mind are people like Malvolio who is probably dealing with very high-profiles roles. I mean, we all agree that contracting in a technical field certainly beats an average 40-50k permie position with no possibility of career and/or salary improvement. But what about roles as a high-end technical architect, management consultant, etc. Do they still prefer to go contracting or accept a golden permie position for over 100k and double-figure bonuses? What's your point of view?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

..are you a "big-hitter" Franco ?

"big-hitter" no big-hitter its still a......

PERMIE
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
      ..are you a "big-hitter" Franco ?
      No

"big-hitter" no big-hitter its still a......

PERMIE
      Oh well, Larry Ellison is a permie too. Would you mind to be in his position?
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
        But what about roles as a high-end technical architect, management consultant
        wtf is a technical architect? this industry is full of muppets. is it one of those guys that uses Visio?

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
          wtf is a technical architect? this industry is full of muppets. is it one of those guys that uses Visio?
          You also need white hair and a beard. A bit like in Matrix, you know. Else you are not credible.

Comment

Franko,

I feel sorry for you.

Milan.

Comment

Dunno, in my field a big hitter would be a Network Architect but that title get's overused, generally CCIE's with a tonne of experience to back it up, who purely design big, complicated networks. Pay wise I'd be surprised if any permie ones are on much over 100K.

Plenty of IT bosses get more than that though I'd guess ...
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
                The TA is the guy who decides the software and the hardware architecture and makes sure they work together and is generally responsible for everything that isn't "business-end". Yes we do use Visio a lot
                Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                  The TA is the guy who decides the software and the hardware architecture and makes sure they work together and is generally responsible for everything that isn't "business-end". Yes we do use Visio a lot
                  And you are an architect for 350 a day?

Comment

oh dear

can somebody get Franko a life

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X