• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling my Flat: Can I arrange with the seller to allow me to move my furniture

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling my Flat: Can I arrange with the seller to allow me to move my furniture

Selling my Flat: Can I arrange with the seller to allow me to move my furniture out just AFTER completion ?

The reason I ask is that if I empty my flat out into storage and the buyer pulls out between exchange of contracts and completion, I am going to end up with an empty flat and thousands out of pocket with great inconvenience and more importantly NO SALE.

speak to your Lawyer.

You don't hand over the keys until you have the money i.e. Completion.
    Exchange of contracts just locks you in to a day to complete.

We were supposed to complete one day but because the money hadn't transferred from the people buying from us we didn't complete that day and we all stayed in our own houses.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Can you arrange it? Yes, if the seller agrees.

The thing to be aware of is that at the point of completion the flat legally becomes the property of the new buyer. I can't remember what the legal position is on any contents.

Most buyers are likely to say no - if they're moving out of somewhere then they'll need to find storage for their things if the flat is still full of your junk. That's why most people would rent a truck / van large enough for all of your crap the night before and start loading it up, leaving the minimum in the flat for your last night's stay, and then finish loading first thing while you wait for the keys to your new place.

Comment

This is the whole point of exchanging contracts before completion. They're legally liable after the exchange and could easily be pursued at least for costs.

Comment

Once you've exchanged contracts there's no backing out. Give yourself some leeway on timing
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Once you've exchanged contracts there's no backing out.
            Bollox.

You can buy it back.

HTH

Comment

Working...
            X