• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Half of companies will require BYOD by 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half of companies will require BYOD by 2017

Half of companies will require BYOD by 2017, Gartner says - Computerworld

What do you experts think of BYOD? Starting to see the term creep up more and more but I think it's misunderstood.

I haven't seen the Gartner report but I can't see 50% of companies telling staff to just bring in their own laptop. I imagine it means that 50% will plan some form of BYOD probably as an option for people to use their own phones for secure email rather than blackberries. After all most people have a phone that can do it and would prefer it.

On the laptop/desktop end I can see the move to VDI but surely the hardware for that will still be supplied by the company.

I don't mind bringing my own device as long as nobody complains about the software I have running on it, some of which can be used to do quite nasty things to clientco systems.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I have been bringing my own for years. I do insist on any cack they wish to install going in a VM though.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Can't happen soon enough for me.

I'm currently working on a locked-down desktop running lotus notes and Office 2003.....
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

In my area, most of us have out own laptops and software, because of it's expense; if a company wants something doing, they don't want to shell out £30-100k on software as well as pay for a contractor, if they believe 9, 12 months down the line, the contractor will be gone, and the software not needed, they questions this. There is also, as cojak says, the horrible consequence of out of date software. Current client is using software released in 2001...

Also answers a couple of nice questions re IR35, and current Public Sector rules.

Comment

BYOD is inevitable. Not because corporate IT departments want it ( it's a support organisations worst nightmare ) but because they cannot stop it.

Comment

Hmm. No input from me. I've just been sitting here thinking up rude ideas for what BYOD means.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Can't happen soon enough for me.

I'm currently working on a locked-down desktop running lotus notes and Office 2003.....
                I don't mind working on a locked down pc at client co. In fact I prefer it, I tether my tablet to my mobile phone if I need access to t'internet. However I really feel your pain with Lotus notes - ugh!
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post

What do you experts think of BYOD? Starting to see the term creep up more and more but I think it's misunderstood. ..
                  I sometimes speed read it as JBOD, and wonder why companies are moving away from using RAID disks
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It is a scam so that companies can lower their costs by pushing them onto their employees. People will have to pay for their own devices & network access so they can access the cloud, pay for their own office space at home, and the company keeps all the profits. I suppose that is fair though, as most of the people doing the "work" actually do sweet **** all. Employing them is effectively privatised welfare.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X