• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Racism in the IT Industry (contracting or otherwise..)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racism in the IT Industry (contracting or otherwise..)

Do you have any evidence of it? have you experienced it yourself?

One of the posts on here, got me thinking about it.

Nah never seen it. I think your talking bollocks.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

you're
      I'm Spartacus.

Comment

What, other than on this board? IRL nothing serious, occasional comment that's probably out of place and wouldn't be appropriate to blurt out to the recipient, nothing major.

Then again I've spent the last 12 years working in environments where every variation of race/colour/religion is represented so wouldn't expect to see too much of it.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by BradNeedsYourHelp
          Do you have any evidence of it? have you experienced it yourself?

One of the posts on here, got me thinking about it.
          Which is the post that made you think about it?
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

On this board you are discriminated if you can't spell

Comment

Originally posted by andy
              On this board you are discriminated if you can't spell
              Hehe. You are corrected if you can't spell and Fleetwood is the daddy in doing this. I feel he, and others, provide a (FOC) educational service.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I've never heard of racism in IT, but then I don't usually work with **** or chinks or pakis so it's hard to say.

PS. That was a poor taste joke only. Please don't be offended.

Comment

Yes, once myself, I was dropped because I am white from a proposed contract because the client wanted positive discrimination for black minority contractors.

A black colleague with the same qualifications and experience was paid £10 less per hour by the agent but the same rate was charged to the end client who was assured by the agent that we were being paid equally.

A similar story with an Indian IT consultant who also was paid £10 less that the rest of the contractors but charged the same to the end client.
                  HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Some clueless agent phoned me up waxing lyrical about a contract with all mod cons. When he told me it was in Dubai I laughed at him and said they probably wouldn't be interested in me. He was completely non-plussed by this and said that my CV was perfect - I had to explain that I had bumpy bits in all the wrong places. He was most indignant and would only go away when I said I would definately take the contract if the client wanted me.

At least he had the decency to phone up mortified and apologied for the 'confusion'.

Bless.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X