• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ethics in football

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethics in football

'Ethics should come first': QPR owner admits being shocked by the 'immoral' nature of football

It has taken two years, rogue agents, mercenary players, £50million of his own cash and relegation for Tony Fernandes to realise what he has let himself in for.

Now the Air Asia businessman has no doubt.

He told Mirror Sport: “I’ve seen all the parts that make football quite – maybe immoral is a strong word, but they would sell their grandmother to do something.

“All parts of the football eco-system. I’m talking about everything. I don’t want to go down the route [of naming names] as we have to work with those people.

“But what I am saying is there are people in the business where money comes first.”

Since seeing his QPR team go down with a whimper last Sunday, the gloves have been off for the Malaysian tycoon. The players have already had both barrels. Former boss Neil Warnock has also been in his sights.

Now the Rangers owner has hit back at the pundits that have branded him naive, the rival chairmen convinced he has been taken for a ride and the system he believes is rotten to the core.

He added: “Ethics should come first. Principles. Principles of doing good business and principles of working a hard honest day. But there are too many short-cuts and the system allows you to have short-cuts because that the system that has been built.

“Was I successful in year one of the airline business? No. Do you have to be a tough b*****d in the airline business? Probably. But there’s a manner in how you have to be a tough b*****d or how you run it.

“I don’t necessarily think I have to be an a**hole to be successful in football. I think I have to be smarter than I have been and experience is something that you can’t buy.

“Nobody can train you for relegation, nobody can train you for a player who refuses to play because he is a substitute. You learn.

“I have noticed some chairmen making their statements about QPR and how they built their clubs differently. I think they would stick to their own f******g club. I don’t go around saying what other people do. It’s not my business.

“It’s not my aim. But should I? Should I go around criticising Chelsea or Swansea or Southampton or say Wolves are finished now? It’s none of my business. My focus is here.

“What happens at other clubs is not for me to comment and I don’t think anyone, in the Premier League, is wise enough to say they know everything. So I won’t change.

“I’ve seen some of the stuff on TV and what some of the guys have said about me, calling me the joker of the Premier League and this and that. It’s life.

“It’s ironic for me that I’m being hammered for wages, because I’m one of the guys who wants Financial Fair Play. I am pushing for it.

“During the recent vote, a lot of clubs rang me up to say ‘Vote against it’. I said: ‘I may be get relegated but it is the right thing to do.’ There should be some controls. Clubs should make some money.”

Asked the amount of his own cash spent on Rangers’ sunken ship, Fernandes said: “I don’t actually know but it would be around the £50m mark.

“I think I allowed myself to be exploited, but that’s my choice. Agents are trying to get the best contracts.

Contrary to popular belief, however, Fernandes has no fears that he will struggle to prise the fingers of his Loftus Road flops off his wallet.

He added: “There is a market for most of them. Football does not revolve around England. There is a market for many of these players in many different parts of the world if England doesn’t want them.

“There’s Russia, there’s Brazil, there’s Americans have become another port. So when we look at it, it isn’t that hard.”

His denial of a dressing-room split over wages, however, gave yet another illustration of the club’s largesse over the last 12 months.

He went on: “The reality is the majority of the squad are on Premier League wages. There maybe two or three who came up with the Championship side, but even they were given new contracts.

“No one stayed at QPR who didn’t have a new contract. They didn’t have to sign new contracts with us if they felt there was unequal pay and could earn more somewhere else.

“I don’t think that’s an excuse. Carlos Tevez must be paid lots more than others at Manchester City but they don’t have a massive dressing room problem because of it. Problems in the dressing room start when you don’t win.”

Fernandes has no regrets about recruiting Mark Hughes, who failed to win any of the club’s first 13 games of the season. He said: “I hoped he would be with us for a long long time.

“He came with a good record. [Agent Kia Joorabchian] recommended him. It was like with the players: I had to sell him my vision. He left Fulham because he thought they were not ambitious.

“He left them in seventh. If you look at that team, they are good players. He took Blackburn to Europe.

“D’you know, I thought: ‘God should I have fired him after Swansea?’ but can you imagine what [the media] would have done to me? If I had done that?”

Fernandes revealed Spurs midfielder Scott Parker joined team-mate Michael Dawson in refusing to have his head turned by Rangers’ riches.

He said: “We tried to get to Dawson. We tried to get a workhorse midfielder, we tried Scott Parker, we tried many names. Those guys would have made a difference.”

Meanwhile, Fernandes confirms Redknapp and 'at least 60%' of players will have wages slashed.

Source: QPR owner Tony Fernandes admits being shocked by the 'immoral' nature of football - Mirror Online

My comment - Welcome to the English Premier League

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    My comment - Welcome back to the Championship
    FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      FTFY
      Thats a long post. I have a short attention span. What came after the FTF ?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
      X