• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A New Agency Low?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A New Agency Low?

13th July 2006 16:00
    Information Technology Services(Division of Median Recruitment Ltd) get in touch with me regarding a development role with a large legal company. We chat he says he will be in touch.

13th July 2006 16:30
    Information Technology Services(Division of Median Recruitment Ltd) call me again saying they have set up an interview for 11:00 the following day at the agencies offices and that they would confirm via email.

13th July 2006 18:45
    No Email Confirmation!
    So I sent an email and got details of location etc.. at 19:05
    [alarm bells should of rang then especially as I have been in this game for 8 years]

14th July 2006 11:00 I attend their offices in Caranby Street which were to be fair very nice offices. I met the consultant had a chat for 15min and then he said he would try and set up an interview for today.[the alarm bells really went off then!] The bloke then said "there's no point in hanging around the office and that he would call me"

I was so shocked I said "okay" and went on my merry way.
    I am sure this must be common practice for secretarial temps but I am a senior developer and command a good rate. I was stunned!.

14th July 2006 14:30
    Three hours after I departed their offices one of them called me and left a message asking if I was still around and that they still didn't have an interview slot for me.
    [I had got the train back to the south coast by then]

14th July 2006 17:05
    The agent I met called and left a message to inform me that they had arranged an interview for Monday, so at that point if I had bothered, I would of been in London for 6 hours without purpose, in his words "that's the way it goes".

Now I am open to the thought that I may be being over sensitive but surely our standing in the industry cant be that low that we should regard this type of treatment as acceptable?

thoughts anyone?
    Yes
    35.29%
    No
    64.71%

Originally posted by billpotter1972
    thoughts anyone?
    You need to learn the difference between "of" and "have".

Comment

Thats pretty sh1t mate. Sue the f*ckers!

BUT being serious, I guess this is just part of the game. In the time that I had contracted in London I had only ever met 1 agent BEFORE an interview with a client had taken place (and the only after sh1t loads of discussions with the agent to confirm everything was for real).

Mailman

Comment

Don't go to see leeches like that. They only call you in when they have no leads, nothing to do and want to give their colleagues / boss the impression that they are busy.

Feck off.

Like many others I've had contracts offered (from end-clients) all over the phone. So why the need to meet the pimp? I've been to one. It was a mistake. Total waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          I've had meetings with two pimps, the first was a complete & utter waste of time, the 2nd got me a permie role I walked out on after 3 weeks.
          I heard you left to sell daffodils.

We've got our eye on you.

Comment

For a permie role obviously. As agents never ask to see contractors.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

13th July 2006 15:30
              Client rings Information Technology Services(Division of Median Recruitment Ltd) in desperate need of a Programmer for their legal company. Existing programmer has died/been fired/been abducted/quit the job (delete as appropriate)

13th July 2006 16:00
              Information Technology Services(Division of Median Recruitment Ltd) get in touch with me regarding a development role with a large legal company. We chat he says he will be in touch.

13th July 2006 16:10
              Information Technology Services(Division of Median Recruitment Ltd) contact Client with the news that they have found a potential replacement. The agent says to the client "don't worry...we will check them out for you..it's all a part of our "Total-Client-Care Service (tm)"

13th July 2006 16:30
              Information Technology Services(Division of Median Recruitment Ltd) call me again saying they have set up an interview for 11:00 the following day at the agencies offices and that they would confirm via email.

13th July 2006 16:45
              Agent gets a phone call from another Client regarding problems / Agent's mum dies / House broken in to / Wife rings up pushing for divorce / 10001 other reasons. Agent is constantly on phone and stressed out....Time Flies..Suddenly it's going home time. Agent forgot email.

13th July 2006 18:45
              No Email Confirmation!
              So I sent an email and got details of location etc.. at 19:05
              [alarm bells should of rang then especially as I have been in this game for 8 years]

13th July 2006 19:00
              Sally, the temp, sees an email from a whining, neurotic contractor and drops everything to call the agent in charge. Agent asks what the problem is. Sally replies "you were meant to send him an email about confirmation for the 11.00 interview." Agent replies "well, we did already agree to 11.00 am. Something came up and I didn't have the chance to confirm it in writing. However, it stands to reason that we are still on, otherwise I would have called him regardless. Why is this guy whining like a needy baby ?"

14th July 2006 9:30
              Client calls Agent. "We might not need the role after all. However, we'd like to leave all doors open just in case. Can you see the guy. Let us know if he's any good and then we might do an interview later."

14th July 2006 11:00 I attend their offices in Caranby Street which were to be fair very nice offices. I met the consultant had a chat for 15min and then he said he would try and set up an interview for today.[the alarm bells really went off then!] The bloke then said "there's no point in hanging around the office and that he would call me"

I was so shocked I said "okay" and went on my merry way.
              I am sure this must be common practice for secretarial temps but I am a senior developer and command a good rate. I was stunned!.

14th July 2006 11:30
              Agent calls the Client. "I've seen the guy. He smells of garlic / has a horrible tie/likes boardgames as a hobby / makes this strange "oooga" noise when he coughs / is too expensive / is too cheap / is too metrosexual / has a wart on his left finger / stares too long at someone / etc / etc / etc / etc / etc /
              Client says "Ok...thanks...looks like we have our guy back on board again." Agent realises it's almost lunchtime, so a few beers and a decent lunch, and then he will call you later to let you know.

14th July 2006 14:25

Agent realises the time. 5hit ! He didnt call you. Agent rings the office and asks someone to buzz you and let you know that things are still up in the air.
              Agent says to himself that he will clue you in when he gets back from lunch.

Afterall, what's a few hours wait to someone who doesn't have a job anyway ? Chances are, they might appreciate a bit of extra time shopping in the city and grabbing a nice lunch somewhere.

14th July 2006 14:30
              Three hours after I departed their offices one of them called me and left a message asking if I was still around and that they still didn't have an interview slot for me.
              [I had got the train back to the south coast by then]

14th July 2006 15:25

Agent gets a call from the Client. It's all gone pear-shaped. The other contractor has just fekked off. Can the agent arrange an interview Monday at the earliest ?

14th July 2006 17:05
              The agent I met called and left a message to inform me that they had arranged an interview for Monday, so at that point if I had bothered, I would of been in London for 6 hours without purpose, in his words "that's the way it goes".

Now I am open to the thought that I may be being over sensitive but surely our standing in the industry cant be that low that we should regard this type of treatment as acceptable?

I think the bottom line is that "standing" is irrelevant....we are all resources at the end of the day, to be hired and fired as companies see fit.

If you are a loot-whore, then the end-client and Agent pretty much use you as they choose, and sometimes companies can be in a panic and need someone one minute, not need them the next, then need them again the minute later.

I do appreciate your frustration, and yes agree with you that it is annoying.

But I certaintly don't see myself as somehow "having standing" in the industry and therefore immune to the scenario you described. I'm not that arrogant or so far up my own arse as you seem to be.

People are resource.

From the bottom to the top (see Tony B in the coming weeks).

A little bit of humilty and humbleness might serve you well.

No one is irreplacable...and to be honest, thank god they aren't. The moment people start thinking they are safe and comfortable, is the moment they turn in to arrogant prima-donnas who need to be cut down to size. (See Wayne Rooney / Tony Blair for good examples).

We are all replacable matey. At the drop of a hat. Like it or lump it.

As such, there is no use moaning about the situation above. However much I agree with you, at the end of the day, you're the one chasing the job, so you should be prepared to be as flexible as possible to accomodate the potential employer and agent's wishes.

It's called "Playing The Game".
              Last edited by Board Game Geek; 16 July 2006, 00:41.
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I had one of them ages ago with a certain well known non-S4 agency bristling full of recruitment consultants with shiny heads and belt buckles. In the end I got a nice spoons lunch (with sticky toffee pudding) out of the agent's pocket as an apology.

That's REAL business
                Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
                X