• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Priorities in life and employers/clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Priorities in life and employers/clients

Was different when I was young for some reason, but these days my priorities are firmly, what I believe anyway, biased towards my family and myself.

i.e. Family/ friends/self come way above trival things like work/ clients/employers.
    Surely I'm not the only one? In my book, clients interests make it in slightly underneath 'Well-being of pet cat'

Over the years I've had some right permie employers who, if they could get away with it, would insist employees put them first one and only at the top of the list.

I guess with contracting, it bring into another consideration too i.e. your companies interests.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with being professional but sometimes it does clash.

Recent example. Wife has been pretty ill recently (back and forth hospital and stayed in for a while). Now it looks like big upgrade (which is going to mean a few days away at customer site) is going to come shortly before she gives birth (the root of all her recent health problems).

I've tried to explain to client for weeks that they really need to get someone else involved in this as well. And they need to consider a backup plan if I need to leave at short notice during the work. But have they listened? Nope not at all.

I'm sure they're thinking that even if my wife is wheeled off in an ambulance I'm going to stay on site just to make sure the job gets done. Of course, I'd be out of the door on my way home within minutes....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

yes - i think when you are young you feel differently because
    1) Often there is no one but yourself to think about - so the sacrifces are things you like to do (pub, sport etc)
    2) You feel you can make a difference and climb the greasy pole and doing extra hours/ being flexible you feel is the way to get on.

but when you get older and have the family commitments you feel
    1) Actually why should my kids/wife suffer because muppet boss x cannot organise a piss up in a brewery and just expects eveyone to drop everything
    2) You have realised that pulling your guts out and working long hours for muppet boss x to pull him/her out of the tulip actually gets you nothing career wise - maybe a condescending pat on the back if you are lucky!

Comment

Its sad but you see so many permies especially doing that at current client. Putting their employer before themselves and their own family.....

Even the manager guy here, whos a really nice fella. Brought him in from another country, but he just won't say no. Regularly get emails from him at 3am. It can only end badly I fear..... But the company does not give a toss and seem eager to screw out of each person as much as they can.

Comment

WOPS + 1

They been told in writing / public. you're done.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Its sad but you see so many permies especially doing that at current client. Putting their employer before themselves and their own family.....

Even the manager guy here, whos a really nice fella. Brought him in from another country, but he just won't say no. Regularly get emails from him at 3am. It can only end badly I fear..... But the company does not give a toss and seem eager to screw out of each person as much as they can.

Are you having a pop at me? You
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Was different when I was young for some reason, but these days my priorities are firmly, what I believe anyway, biased towards my family and myself.

i.e. Family/ friends/self come way above trival things like work/ clients/employers.
            Surely I'm not the only one? In my book, clients interests make it in slightly underneath 'Well-being of pet cat'

Over the years I've had some right permie employers who, if they could get away with it, would insist employees put them first one and only at the top of the list.

I guess with contracting, it bring into another consideration too i.e. your companies interests.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with being professional but sometimes it does clash.

Recent example. Wife has been pretty ill recently (back and forth hospital and stayed in for a while). Now it looks like big upgrade (which is going to mean a few days away at customer site) is going to come shortly before she gives birth (the root of all her recent health problems).

I've tried to explain to client for weeks that they really need to get someone else involved in this as well. And they need to consider a backup plan if I need to leave at short notice during the work. But have they listened? Nope not at all.

I'm sure they're thinking that even if my wife is wheeled off in an ambulance I'm going to stay on site just to make sure the job gets done. Of course, I'd be out of the door on my way home within minutes....
            Your client sounds like a bloody nightmare.

Contractors are normally brought on for one of a few reasons.

1) The client has a project that needs sorting out and cant do it with FTE headcount.
            2) The client wants to borrow a few bodies for six months or so to test the market.
            3) The client wants to do something new and wants to use his own team to deliver while backfilling the normal duties with a contractor.
            4) The client cant find the skills that they want in the permie market.
            5) One or more of the above all at once and they have left everything till the last possible minute and once they were past that point waited another 3 months then hired you because you have a Time machine

We are not expected to have family issues but it should not be beyond the whit of the client to realise that you are going to need some flexibility. An this would count as one of those situations. Perhaps you should find a sub and introduce them to the client and tell them that you will be using this person in lieu of a backup plan and they need to cough up as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              We are not expected to have family issues but it should not be beyond the whit of the client to realise that you are going to need some flexibility. An this would count as one of those situations. Perhaps you should find a sub and introduce them to the client and tell them that you will be using this person in lieu of a backup plan and they need to cough up as a result.
              WBS - If they can't sort out an alternative you sort one out for them.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Sounds so like one of my past client. My wife was due, and I had to wfh for quite a few days due to bad health. One of the PMs said, I cannot work from home even though my contract gave me full right to decide. Basically for him, permies can wfh at the drop of hat, and contractors are not allowed remote working at all. So had to take few days off in the end. Now the project was already delayed, and because of my absence, it got escalated to the CTO. When I was in next, he was so furious and started blaming me for all the problems as I was not reliable and took day off at the very last moment. All I did was forwarded him the emails saying my willingness to work remotely due to the project deadlines, and the non-flexibility of the PM which ultimately made me choose the only option available for me.
                No need to say, who got the bollocking in the end. So in all, yes, my priorities are always family first, me second, then the house, friends, their cat, their dog, neighbours and then client.

Comment

I actually pity people that sacrifice parts of their life for the company, the people that go for it are usually the most useless in the place and at some level they are probably quite insecure. The problem is that these twats usually get promoted first and preach their doctrine of activity over achievement to the whole group then everyone in the company runs that way. Personally I have found intelligence and laziness a great mix and one which should be promoted.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    Your client sounds like a bloody nightmare.

Contractors are normally brought on for one of a few reasons.

1) The client has a project that needs sorting out and cant do it with FTE headcount.
                    2) The client wants to borrow a few bodies for six months or so to test the market.
                    3) The client wants to do something new and wants to use his own team to deliver while backfilling the normal duties with a contractor.
                    4) The client cant find the skills that they want in the permie market.
                    5) One or more of the above all at once and they have left everything till the last possible minute and once they were past that point waited another 3 months then hired you because you have a Time machine

It was probably (4) to start with and also probably because there were restrictions on permies and they needed someone. Then, as per usual, things take longer than they thought.

2 years down the line they still ain't got anyone else and are reliant on me.

Good idea about the sub in principle. Trouble is its fairly niche, and you need specific knowledge so I dont think such person exists. Pity that.

Comment

Working...
                    X