• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Comparison of UK train operators' 1st class services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparison of UK train operators' 1st class services

My Googling didn't appear to find anything so if nobody else knows of a good side-by-side comparison perhaps we could create one here? Those of you who travel a lot must know which operators to prefer which could help others booking journeys with a choice of operator?

I'll start....

Cross Country (XC)
    Pretty crummy. Seats are a bit better and they have 1/2-person tables but it's basically not much different from standard except less busy.
    You get free food from a very limited menu and it's only 2 or 3 things which are basically microwavable ready meals, served in a plastic pot with plastic cutlery. Menus rotate weekly IIRC so you'd be eating the same thing every day most likely.
    Free non-alcoholic drinks but again coffee in a paper cup is not my expectation for 1st.
    Plenty of power sockets and free WiFi, which was patchy but not terrible when I travelled.

Overall still better than standard if you need to get some work done but otherwise I'm not sure it's worth the money.

I travelled Durham-Penzance mid-week, if this is different from other routes chip in...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

South West Trains

No extra goodies such as free coffee or food
    Most trains, first class seats are the same as standard except they are blue colour.
    Some trains have wider seats but they are very limited and often worn out. At peak time often there are not enough first class seats.

Staff are rude, very rude.
    Per mile SW Trains are the most expensive.
    Very rarely are the trains on time.
    SW Trains are owned by investment banks and they don’t care a sh1t because they know they will always be awarded with the franchise.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

When GNER was GNER (London - Edinburgh) their first class was the best of all first classes. The high seats made you feel like a king

Worse are the local commuter 1st classes, because their purpose is not to give you a comfortable journey, but just "guarantee" you a seat.

Comment

A F***ing trainspotter
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

First Transpennine Express
          not much of an difference in price between standard and first class but there is a reason for that.

Good
          Bigger seats
          free coffee and snack. A free sandwich on longer journeys
          There is one staff member for the entire train and all food and drink is from that trolley. Service varies, some staff clearly have issues when dealing with first class passengers, others are more than helpful.

Bad
          Seats are not good for long journeys (e.g. Manchester to Edinburgh)
          First class is declassified so often on peak time services that some standard ticket holders will just go straight into first class hogging all the seats (first class ticket holders are supposed to get preference but there is never any staff there to enforce it)

Notes
          If you have to use the liverpool to leeds routes daily its worthwhile noting which trains are double length and catching those as they very rarely have to declassify first class on those trains. However there may only be one trolley which may be in the other half of the train!

East Coast (weekend)
          Cheap first class tickets can be found on the Eat Coast website (cheaper than TheTrainline.com)

Good
          Bigger seats
          Food service at the weeknd (although this can run out before everyone has been served)
          Free booze at weekends (unlike virgin)
          Decent staff too, although the Scots between Newcastle and Aberdeen can be a bit (stereotypical) grumpy they still know what they're doing.

Bad
          Food choice and portion size is a bit limited
          Drinks trolley never comes often enough (does it ever?!)
          Coaches feel a bit dated
          If your seat is in the buffet car then there aren't any power sockets and you'll probably have to put up with drunk rig workers using the shop as a makeshift pub
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Also is there any way when searching for trains to restrict/prefer operators? The operators' own sites just seem to use the same tool as all the comparison sites, so for example searching on First Great Western gave me journeys not even partially using their trains.

And - if you know about which operators do cheap 1st upgrades, add that in. Great Western claim to at weekends only, I know Virgin used to as well.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

HS2 First Class

<placeholder>

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                When GNER was GNER (London - Edinburgh) their first class was the best of all first classes. The high seats made you feel like a king

Worse are the local commuter 1st classes, because their purpose is not to give you a comfortable journey, but just "guarantee" you a seat.
                WHS. There is no first class anymore - its standard and then everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  And - if you know about which operators do cheap 1st upgrades, add that in. Great Western claim to at weekends only, I know Virgin used to as well.
                  Virgin still do a cheap weekend upgrade but it is a very reduced first class service, small snacks and soft drinks only or a voucher to use at the buffet car (which is at the other end of the train)
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

GWR

Very happy with seats, food, drink and speed of service. Comfy wide seats, all with tables and power points. Free Booze if you want it, coffee, soft drinks and snacks if you don't. If it's quiet, they have been known to give you 2/3 drinks if you ask for them.

It has been declassified on occasion, but only until Reading, and they refunded my ticket.

Comment

Working...
                    X