• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Awkwardness - turning down an offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awkwardness - turning down an offer

Does anybody else find it incredibly awkward going to an interview, receiving an offer and having to explain to an agent why you won't accept? Especially when they have worked really hard to get you the role........

no...

business is business, they/clients have no problems in relaying news about not being successful back to you...same difference...
    Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      Does anybody else find it incredibly awkward going to an interview, receiving an offer and having to explain to an agent why you won't accept? Especially when they have worked really hard to get you the role........
      I usually say, I have received another offer of £ x, which is y% more than this one. The idea is to put y a bit higher than the one you would be accepting, so if they really want you, they would have to match it. You cannot lose this argument. Most of the agent/clients know that good people will have more than one offer anyways to pick the best one from.

Btw congrats for the new role.

Comment

You're not cut out for this contracting lark are you...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          You're not cut out for this contracting lark are you...
          ah so I have to be a prick with no regard for how others may feel in order to be contracting.......

I have been doing it for 3.5 years and I am not suffering from depression (as I was when I was in permie land). Like it or not you don't have to be as disliked as yourself to be contracting......

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            Over a month late with that April's Fool.

Still, nice try.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
              Over a month late with that April's Fool.

Still, nice try.

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
                no...

business is business, they/clients have no problems in ignoring you if you aren't successful ...At least you have the manners to tell them...

FTFY
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If you told the agent/client you would accept the role if offered, or implied it, feeling a bit awkward is entirely natural IMO, but if you have a better/preferable offer what can you do...
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I turned one down yesterday. When pressed for a reason I came out with "I took a look at the tech they are using and it just isn't is exciting as other stuff I am looking at."

I don't feel bad for the agent but sometimes it's hard turning down the client when they've picked you and if you don't have something else lined up it's hard to turn down the money.

Comment

Working...
                    X