• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New EU Seed Law

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New EU Seed Law

Quite shocked by this

Under the new law, it will immediately be illegal to grow, reproduce or trade any vegetable seed or tree that has not been tested and approved by a new "EU Plant Variety Agency, who will make a list of approved plants. Moreover, an annual fee must also be paid to the Agency to keep them on the list, and if not paid, they cannot be grown.
    So this would mean that I would technically be breaking the law by doing what I do every year by saving seeds from various garden plants and resowing them the following spring.

Fortunately, due to public pressure, there have been amendments to the law such that;

Home gardeners are now permitted to save and swap unapproved seed without breaking the law.

Individuals & small organisations can grow and supply/sell unapproved vegetable seed - as long as they have less than 10 employees.
    Another EU job creation scheme?
    Moreover, an annual fee must also be paid to the Agency to keep them on the list, and if not paid, they cannot be grown.
    Or is there something more nefarious going on?

As ever there's a petition

UKIP.

Sorted.

Why do we put up with the EUSSR?

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
      Quite shocked by this

Under the new law, it will immediately be illegal to grow, reproduce or trade any vegetable seed or tree that has not been tested and approved by a new "EU Plant Variety Agency, who will make a list of approved plants. Moreover, an annual fee must also be paid to the Agency to keep them on the list, and if not paid, they cannot be grown.
      So this would mean that I would technically be breaking the law by doing what I do every year by saving seeds from various garden plants and resowing them the following spring.
      usual illiterate anti euro FUD. You don't need every single seed testing, it's the plant variety which is approved.

Unless you are growing some sort exotic plants then you're perfectly safe. The legislation is there to prevent potential invasive species being given a helping hand by dim witted farmers.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        usual illiterate anti euro FUD. You don't need every single seed testing, it's the plant variety which is approved.

Unless you are growing some sort exotic plants then you're perfectly safe. The legislation is there to prevent potential invasive species being given a helping hand by dim witted farmers.
        Don't think it says anywhere about every single seed needing to be tested...

Anyhow there are many thousands of varieties of flowering plants, vegetables, fruits etc... There's no way they'd all make their list. Who's going to pay for a start?
        I'm sure there would be many rare cultivars that would die out as a result of this.

Comment

who said anything about every single seed ??
          you made that up.

it's a stupid law and a stupid idea
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Don't think it says anywhere about every single seed needing to be tested...

Anyhow there are many thousands of varieties of flowering plants, vegetables, fruits etc... There's no way they'd all make their list. Who's going to pay for a start?
            I'm sure there would be many rare cultivars that would die out as a result of this.
            They won't be starting from scratch, The vast majority of European species and their agricultural varieties are already cataloged and have been for sometime

This will only effect people importing, selling and growing seeds from outside of the EU
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

They won't be starting from scratch, The vast majority of European species and their agricultural varieties are already cataloged and have been for sometime

This will only effect people importing, selling and growing seeds from outside of the EU
              Hmmm I'm very suspicious.

The vast majority may have been catalogued but that doesn't mean they are licenced under this new law.

There are a lot of people out there who think this is a very bad thing.

Don't think these people are the usual illiterate anti-EU FUD types

New seed regulations are currently being drafted in Brussels. If the Directorate General for Health and Consumers’ plans become a reality, more old and rare varieties of fruits, vegetables and grains will disappear from the market. These diverse varieties and varieties adapted to organic agriculture are to be hampered by bureaucracy, while the power of corporate agriculture is further strengthened.
              The currently available texts for the new EU seed regulation will promote a concentration of the seed market into the hands of a small number of seed industry corporations. This is unacceptable. A new EU seed regulation must allow diversity varieties, varieties for small-scale farming and ecologically adapted breeding

Comment

Hmmm I'm very suspicious.

The vast majority may have been catalogued but that doesn't mean they are licenced under this new law.

There are a lot of people out there who think this is a very bad thing.

Don't think these people are the usual illiterate anti-EU FUD types
                I expect it's a bung from some GM food crop company like Monsanto to Eurotwat directors to ensure everyone in the EUSSR grows and eats the same thing.

No more plant diversity.

Comment

they will be able to bring in a 'wind tax'

if any seeds blow into your garden and they are not on the 'euro seed register' they will charge you.
                  If any swallows fly in with coconuts, they'll fckng hang you
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Does this mean I can't just go and plant my seeds in some Eastern European beauty spot?

Comment

Working...
                    X