• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oops - nearly set the dear wifes prized mini on fire!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops - nearly set the dear wifes prized mini on fire!

Not having a good day! Battery flat cos I left the lights on....

So I thought - I know battery is good on mrs old mini I'll connect that up and jump start off this one. In my rush, stuck battery terminals on wrong way.
    Strangely it started but then there was shedloads of smoke from under the bonnet.

So I nearly shat a brick, whipped keys out quick and pulled battery terminals off.
    Had a look under bonnet expecting to see a mess but it dont look that bad.

Possibly I've knackered the alternator I think. Bit too scared to connect it all back up. Waiting for AA now!

Could be worse - wife would have set fire to me if I'd trashed her mini!
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Crikey it's not exactly Phd stuff connecting a car battery the right way is it?

Jeez.

If it's a modern car you've probably fried all sorts of very expensive things.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Crikey it's not exactly Phd stuff connecting a car battery the right way is it?

Jeez.

Nah. But take into account rushing, 9 year whinging in your ear. LOL.

Its an old mini so no ECU etc. Hopefully be OK maybe just knackered alternator.

AA fella who came out reckoned it'd be OK with an old car.
      Last edited by psychocandy; 9 May 2013, 10:33.

Comment

Chance to put a modified 1380cc A series in there, and scare her next time she drives it

Comment

You sound like you are having the same sort of week as I am

Dont think I have ever managed to confuse red and black terminals before but I did hold both sets of the jump lead clips in the same hand once while I was trying to get them off of the the running car at the other end. There was a big burst of sparks and loads of noise...

This morning I just spent £800 on a new set of shoes for the Landy and have about the same to go again in MOT and road tax. I have the same sort of bills coming for my car next week as well

Sometimes I think it would be easier to stay in bed...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post

Dont think I have ever managed to confuse red and black terminals before but I did hold both sets of the jump lead clips in the same hand once while I was trying to get them off of the the running car at the other end. There was a big burst of sparks and loads of noise...

This morning I just spent £800 on a new set of shoes for the Landy and have about the same to go again in MOT and road tax. I have the same sort of bills coming for my car next week as well

Just had to put 4 new shoes on mine too. How did they become so expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
              Just had to put 4 new shoes on mine too. How did they become so expensive!
              I didn't think cars wore shoes, only people..

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                I didn't think cars wore shoes, only people..
                Cars don't wear people.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post

Not a great week to be honest..... :-(

Mrs taken into hospital yesterday. Rushing around between client, school run, hospital visit, and WFH. Not what I needed this morning then to find battery flat.

Client aint being the most understanding either. I think I should point out that if I was a permie it'd just be a case of 'got to take a few days off'.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Wife?

Comment

Working...
                    X