• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone jacked off Linked In?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone who has a couple of hundred connections on Linked In jacked it off and closed their 'profile' down?

Reason I ask is I've been on LI for about 4 years. I've found it useful to contact past workmates and colleagues. I've referred people for roles and forwarded them details of roles I know are available when they have been looking etc.

But, if Im totally honest, it seems Im getting nothing back despite asking many of my current contacts if they can give me leads for any roles they know of etc, etc. All Im getting is bob's asking to link in to me(!), agents who in the past I've worked for asking me for LI recommendations not to mention seeing people give 'recommendations' to agents for areas they know nothing about.

And then there's the spam from Linked In encouraging you to convert to their premium version for free (only you have to hand over your credit card details first!).

Just seems LI has become a glorified facebook with so many false recommendations going on and true networking seemingly lost. Dont see the point in it all any more.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

I set the messages it sends to digest the other day to limit the tulipe to once a week, ill see how that works out but no doubt it won't help.

I also have a message that I don't want to be contacted as I am not available and I don't accept agent invitations but they still send messages as invites.... "I see it says you are not available but we have this role that is ideal for you"

Feckin' annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      Has anyone who has a couple of hundred connections on Linked In jacked it off and closed their 'profile' down?

Reason I ask is I've been on LI for about 4 years. I've found it useful to contact past workmates and colleagues. I've referred people for roles and forwarded them details of roles I know are available when they have been looking etc.

But, if Im totally honest, it seems Im getting nothing back despite asking many of my current contacts if they can give me leads for any roles they know of etc, etc. All Im getting is bob's asking to link in to me(!), agents who in the past I've worked for asking me for LI recommendations not to mention seeing people give 'recommendations' to agents for areas they know nothing about.

And then there's the spam from Linked In encouraging you to convert to their premium version for free (only you have to hand over your credit card details first!).

Just seems LI has become a glorified facebook with so many false recommendations going on and true networking seemingly lost. Dont see the point in it all any more.
      I got approached by an internal recruiter for a very interesting permie role. Didn't work out in the end but it made me reassess LI.

Comment

If it works for you then it isn't a waste of time, but my view is it has come off the rails in the last couple of years. Not only do I get people in IT I've never heard of contacting / inviting me, I've also recently started being contacted by people who professionally have nothing to do with me at all. For example, people who've done building work on my house. It also seems to be increasingly used to promote things by using the share option. That's all fair enough as far as it goes, but it's a long way removed from what I signed up to originally.

Comment

I get this bloke sending me an email via LinkedIn every time I update it to a new clientco, asking me if it possible for me to get his technology (on my cv too) in here.

I haven't figured out how to remove someone but I only use the iPhone app...

Anyone LinkedIn to this Scott Moreton? How many groups is he a member of?

Comment

Are you a member of relevant groups? That's a big part of my use for LI.

Do you get clients to recommend you on LI - that's worth having if agents/clients check out your profile, personal recommendations still carry weight.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I was looking for a local HTML designer a while ago and found a few local groups on LI.

They were all run by agents who were posting jobs and starting discussions like "is your company using HTML5" in a clear fishing attempt. No technical/design content whatsoever and no way to meet designers.

Sad really, bit of a waste

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                I set the messages it sends to digest the other day to limit the tulipe to once a week, ill see how that works out but no doubt it won't help.

I also have a message that I don't want to be contacted as I am not available and I don't accept agent invitations but they still send messages as invites.... "I see it says you are not available but we have this role that is ideal for you"

Feckin' annoying.
                That ignore button comes in quite handy.

And the fact that pimps who want to "connect" still can't be arsed to call you with that fantastic totally ideal role that has just come in.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by twocontract View Post
                  If it works for you then it isn't a waste of time, but my view is it has come off the rails in the last couple of years. Not only do I get people in IT I've never heard of contacting / inviting me, I've also recently started being contacted by people who professionally have nothing to do with me at all. For example, people who've done building work on my house. It also seems to be increasingly used to promote things by using the share option. That's all fair enough as far as it goes, but it's a long way removed from what I signed up to originally.
                  This, I can equate to!
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Anyone LinkedIn to this Scott Moreton? How many groups is he a member of?
                    I mistakingly had a few LION people including Scott, its a pain in the arse as it just fills up the activity feed so they were removed again
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X