• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interesting comment from Littlejohn.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting comment from Littlejohn.

I suspect Max Clifford's lawyers will appreciate this :

First they came for the telly veterans...

In February, the parliamentary expenses cheat Lord Hanningfield successfully sued police who raided his Essex home at 6.45am. He was awarded £3,500 damages

Thanks for your response to my last column, ‘Arrest first, ask questions later’, on the heavy-handed tactics being used by police investigating ‘historic’ sex abuse, phone-hacking and payment to public officials.

I’ve heard from a number of lawyers and ex-coppers, who point out that the standard policy of mob-handed dawn raids and ransacking homes is not only over the top, it’s probably unlawful.
    Under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act (PACE) a person who is willing to attend a police station to be interviewed does not need to be arrested.

The arrest code was amended last October to make this point crystal clear.

In February, the parliamentary expenses cheat Lord Hanningfield successfully sued police who raided his Essex home at 6.45am. He was awarded £3,500 damages.

The judge said the requirement for ‘necessity’ laid down by Parliament had not remotely been met. Hanningfield may be a crook, who had previously been sentenced to nine months, but even crooks have rights.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Working...
X