• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best novel you've read?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best novel you've read?

Long story (no pun intended) is that I've just got a Kindle Paperwhite and love it. I have quite a backlog of 'classics' to read, so I'm sorted there. Ditto classic Sci-Fi and Fantasy books.

Any decent novels you've read in the past that don't necessarily make their way onto such lists but you've think shouldn't be missed in a lifetime?

All sensible () responses much appreciated.
    nomadd liked this post

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Long story (no pun intended) is that I've just got a Kindle Paperwhite and love it. I have quite a backlog of 'classics' to read, so I'm sorted there. Ditto classic Sci-Fi and Fantasy books.

Any decent novels you've read in the past that don't necessarily make their way onto such lists but you've think shouldn't be missed in a lifetime?

Life of Pi is excellent. It was 20p for Kindle recently - not sure if it still on offer. But well worth a read at the full price. Lots of freebies for the classics and Shakey - I gave up on Les Mis though!

Comment

Shipwrecks - I really enjoyed this one, but there are not a lot of laughs

Think the best book I've read was The Color Purple
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post

Off the top of my head

Pompeii by Robert Harris, a real page turner.

Alex, a good thriller with more twists than a conger eel

A Man Called Intrepid. I read this last week. Not sure if it's on kindle yet, but highly recommended all the same. It's about undoubtedly the most amazing character of WW2, a guy called Sir William Stephenson, who ran all the allied intelligence services throughout the war and mentored Bill Donovan, the founder of the CIA. Slightly confusingly, the author is William Stevenson
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Les Liaisons dangereuses by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos One of my favourites.

Mr N is currently reading all the Bond books, apparently they are enjoyable as well.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
            Mr N is currently reading all the Bond books, apparently they are enjoyable as well.
            Ian Fleming (along with several other later celebrities, including Noel Coward, Roald Dahl, and Hughie Green) worked for Sir William Stephenson during WW2. Sounds like Mr N would enjoy "A Man Called Intrepid".
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

two ancient classics, written in Victorian english

last days of Pompeii. by Bulwer-Lytton
              the cloister and the hearth. by Charles Reade
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

My favourite is the Alexander trilogy by Mary Renault
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I have a penchant for literary thrillers i.e. where there is a strong plot AND the characters are adequately developed.

Best thriller ever has got to be Forsythe "The Day of the Jackal".
                  Also Robert Harris "Fatherland" - the best of the the "what if Germany had won" books IMO.
                  Peter Hoeg "Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow" - the very first of the Scandi-thrillers and still one of the best
                  "Snow Falling on Cedars" by Guterson(?). Excellent .

These are mostly from the 90s, don't know if they're in ebook.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

For a page turner of a thriller, try The Eye of the Tiger by Wilbur Smith

Comment

Working...
                    X