• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it a good idea to use your Limited Company to build your pension fund? (Investing)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it a good idea to use your Limited Company to build your pension fund? (Investing)

Hello,

I'm starting to have spare cash in the limited company and was wondering if it'd be a good idea to start investing it long term with the view to build enough to provide income for an early retirement.

The problems I see with this approach is that you'll start paying a higher CT when your investment income is higher than your trading income, and you'll lose the CGT Entrepreneur's relief (for what I could understand) so you couldn't benefit for liquidating the company and retrieving the cash inside with a 10% tax bill in the future.

If it's not such a good idea, what other possibilities do you have to put into good use the money that's now sitting into a reserve account getting barely a 1.5%?

Originally posted by mickael28 View Post
    Hello,

I'm starting to have spare cash in the limited company and was wondering if it'd be a good idea to start investing it long term with the view to build enough to provide income for an early retirement.

The problems I see with this approach is that you'll start paying a higher CT when your investment income is higher than your trading income, and you'll lose the CGT Entrepreneur's relief (for what I could understand) so you couldn't benefit for liquidating the company and retrieving the cash inside with a 10% tax bill in the future.

If it's not such a good idea, what other possibilities do you have to put into good use the money that's now sitting into a reserve account getting barely a 1.5%?
    Get some Colombian marching powder up your nose ..

HTH
    Last edited by Troll; 12 May 2013, 16:28.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Buy some Rolf Harris art, for some reason it seems to be really cheap at the moment, a sure fire investment.*

*i am not qualified to give investment advice. But I do own an art gallery. Psst wanna buy some cheap Rolf's?

Comment

I've invested in a warehouse full of "Jim fixed it for Me" T-shirts, all brand new and unused - They'll be worth a fortune in years to come!
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Call me an old Fart
          but I view all this as same old tulipe from the same old bumhole

i.e.
          don't get a mortgage - thats debt
          don't get a pension - that's a waste
          dont' go for reliefs or exies - that puts you on the radar
          don't divvy up the missus - that's asking to be sponged

earn yer wad, keep yer spends low, keep yer income high. keep yer head down, keep yer chin up

any questions ??

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by mickael28 View Post
            It's a very good idea if you are open minded enough to accept easily that Govt in the future will raid your pension pot.

Instead invest into:

1) house in some remote area
            2) canned food
            3) 3D printer

Comment

Or the question could be asked in a different way: what do you do with the spare cash you've got inside the company?

Comment

Or the question could be asked in Accounting/Legal...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  It's a very good idea if you are open minded enough to accept easily that Govt in the future will raid your pension pot.

Instead invest into:

2) canned food
                  3) 3D printer

I'm surprised you forgot the AK47

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    I'm surprised you forgot the AK47
                    Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    2) canned food
                    3) 3D printer