• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the longest technical interview you've ever had?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the longest interview that you've had to secure a contract?

I'm not convinced that an invite for a half-day interview reflects positively on the hiring process and the role itself, especially bearing in mind the project is likely to have only few opportunities to develop something genuinely new.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by p3t3 View Post
    What's the longest interview that you've had to secure a contract?

I'm not convinced that an invite for a half-day interview reflects positively on the hiring process and the role itself, especially bearing in mind the project is likely to have only few opportunities to develop something genuinely new.

Any thoughts?
    Ten mins, if that.

Comment

I've never had one.

Comment

About an hour in total.

30 min written test followed by 30 mins Q&A session with panel of technical "experts"

Comment

so long as I tell them the pickle is optional and I should ask about Fries they seem fine.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I had one that lasted 90 mins and was one out of 4 interviews in total, I still don't know how I managed to land it but almost 15 months later I'm still here
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

The written test is a very effective recruitment technique.

It's amazing how many people can't cope with such things.

My longest total interview (permie job) was 8 hours. Involved psychometric test, numeracy test, english language test, logical reasoning test, giving a one hour presentation and face to face interviews.

I got the job and stayed 18 months.

Comment

Three minutes is about maximum by which time the techie has sunk so low in his chair with embarrassment of hi lack of knowledge; alternatively the cleaver ones just shut up and say that’s enough.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I spent an entire day interviewing at Cisco for a permanent job, back in 1999.

Comment

I had about 2 1/2 hours mostly technical for previous permie job, and that was after an hour on the phone. That was pretty indepth multithreaded C++, and I actually quite enjoyed it.

As a graduate I remember going to a whole interview day with psychometric tests and team problem solving other such nonsense, which is probably fair enough for graduates. But I did another about 3 years later, and I really wished on that occasion I'd just walked out.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X