• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

P11D / Tax Code

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P11D / Tax Code

Hi,

I just want to check that I'm getting this correct as my tax code is going up & down like a yoyo.

All my expenses are allowable under the 24 month rule or otherwise so I enter on the P11D? (they are all paid direct by the LTD).

I ask as when I did this last year the value was taken off my tax code

I then sent a letter claiming section 336 (or something) and the tax was changed to the Personal Allowance. I asked for a dispensation as well and was refused as I have to complete Self Assessment.

I did my SA this year completing the expenses part & my tax code has increased by the amount of the expenses (but I dont put the expenses through the payroll as they are direct).

I'm on the RTI now so life will be a whole lot simpler but my questions are;

1. Do I have to submit the expenses on the P11D if they were paid direct & allowable.

2. If yes - what did I miss that the value was deducted from my personal allowance

3. Should I submit; 'No Return of Class 1A National Insurance contributions'

4. What did I miss on the SA? I stated the expenses were paid direct by the LTD and were wholley for business?

5. Does any of it really matter?

6. Does anyone care?

...I dont have an accountant .....

thanks in advance,
    Podgy

1. Yes, if you paid for them personally and then reimbursed yourself, and you don't have a dispensation.

2. Adding them onto you tax return and submitting the return before HMRC had time to process the P11D.

3. If you have no benefits or expenses, yes.

4. On the employment pages you should add in the expenses there, and then add them in to show they were allowable (same page, enter in two places).

5. Sadly yes

6. Not all the time, no

It's a daft system and results in stupid code changes that take far too long to put right. But then if HMRC were good at their jobs we'd be out of ours
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      1. Yes, if you paid for them personally and then reimbursed yourself, and you don't have a dispensation.

2. Adding them onto you tax return and submitting the return before HMRC had time to process the P11D.

3. If you have no benefits or expenses, yes.

4. On the employment pages you should add in the expenses there, and then add them in to show they were allowable (same page, enter in two places).

5. Sadly yes

6. Not all the time, no

It's a daft system and results in stupid code changes that take far too long to put right. But then if HMRC were good at their jobs we'd be out of ours
      Thanks Claire - that makes it much clearer. So really I dont need to do a P11D at all as nothing is paid by or reimbursed to me? I guess I still need to do the submission tho - with nil in all the figures?

Comment

Originally posted by Podgy View Post
        Thanks Claire - that makes it much clearer. So really I dont need to do a P11D at all as nothing is paid by or reimbursed to me? I guess I still need to do the submission tho - with nil in all the figures?
        If you had no expenses and no benefits in kind then simply tick the box on the P35 that says "No P11D due". If you've already submitted the P35 then just call HMRC to advise that no P11D will be due after all.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
          If you had no expenses and no benefits in kind then simply tick the box on the P35 that says "No P11D due". If you've already submitted the P35 then just call HMRC to advise that no P11D will be due after all.
          Thanks very much.

Comment

Getting an accountant would probably be a good move as well
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
            X