• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stay permie or take a 3 month contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stay permie or take a 3 month contract?

So a week or so ago i was contacted by an agent for a contract role through a large Indian consultancy in the area of SAP that i work with.
    I am permie at the moment, just 8 weeks in at one of the Big 4. I have not had a project since i joined 8 weeks ago though.
    Nothing at all, mostly messing with this and that and training other colleagues on said SAP area. The usual story from large companies.
    I decided to entertain the agent with the contract opportunity as it is close to home, excellent work in my area of SAP, have not had a project since i started at the new company and they only expect work to possibly start coming in around Q3.

I did two interviews one with the Indian consultancy and the other with the end client.
    Both went well and the agent has told me i have been selected for the role.
    I am waiting for the contract to come through and have to give them my Ltd details etc once i have them.

One thing that concerns me is that the contract is 3 months with a possible extension by 6 months afterwards. Not sure what i should be asking the agent about this to be as safe as possible? From my interview with an architect at the client there is quite a lot of work to be done so my thinking is 3 months might be extended. Going through the first timers guide now but wondering what others would do in this situation? Take the risk and get a foot in the door with contracting even if it is only 3 months or wait it out at the large consultancy, with no work and no surety on when there will be a project?

Any advice is appreciated.

Originally posted by pimpmycode View Post
    So a week or so ago i was contacted by an agent for a contract role through a large Indian consultancy in the area of SAP that i work with.
    I am permie at the moment, just 8 weeks in at one of the Big 4. I have not had a project since i joined 8 weeks ago though.
    Nothing at all, mostly messing with this and that and training other colleagues on said SAP area. The usual story from large companies.
    I decided to entertain the agent with the contract opportunity as it is close to home, excellent work in my area of SAP, have not had a project since i started at the new company and they only expect work to possibly start coming in around Q3.

I did two interviews one with the Indian consultancy and the other with the end client.
    I am waiting for the contract to come through and have to give them my Ltd details etc once i have them.

One thing that concerns me is that the contract is 3 months with a possible extension by 6 months afterwards. Not sure what i should be asking the agent about this to be as safe as possible? From my interview with an architect at the client there is quite a lot of work to be done so my thinking is 3 months might be extended. Going through the first timers guide now but wondering what others would do in this situation? Take the risk and get a foot in the door with contracting even if it is only 3 months or wait it out at the large consultancy, with no work and no surety on when there will be a project?

What will your financial position be if there is no extension after three months?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      What will your financial position be if you get canned on day 1?
      FTFY
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Stay permie.

Next.

(Seriously, I've been there. Don't do it. And I'm saying that as a 25 year contracting veteran.)
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

I think a 3 months contract is rather too short for you to consider leaving your Job. If you could fight for 6 months starting and with a good rate then why not – Take the step (No venture no Success) .
          But for the 3 months contract ? I would say NO NO.

Another thing you need to consider is , PROS and CONS of taking the New contract .

Comment

My last 2 contracts at a big bank were both initially 3 months but lasted 18 months each. They even renew every 3 months. Maybe the client thinks along those lines.

Comment

If you have to ask then stay permie.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Tricky, but I would not want to 'jump' for 3 months....

I left permiedom, having managed to land a 6-month contract at a decent rate. My finanical musings were along the lines of being able to comfortably afford 6 months benchtime thereafter, which this contract will provide. Now, there is always the risk of getting canned early, but - after the first month or so 'setup costs' - each month I work provides more than 1 month benchtime finances....oh, and wifety earns enough that we won't die of cold and starvation if it all goes Pete Tong too quickly
                latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Look inside your heart.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    If you have to ask then stay permie.
                    This.

You should not look at contracts as an alternative. You either jump in or stay out. Unless you have your head and finances ready you need to leave contracting alone. The work setting up and understanding how to run a company alone won't be worth it for one gig.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X