• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you Thick skinned ? Is this a contractor trait ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you Thick skinned ? Is this a contractor trait ?

I had a funny old day today.

first off, a good mate, permie at my current gig rang me at dinner time.
    He had a row with another permie and slammed the phone down. Rang me, very upset.
    So I bigged him up and told him he was right, etc (which he was btw)

After an hour of this , I thought 'fck it'

so I toddled off to the pub

got back home and Mrs EO comes home in floods of tears. problem at work, people being petty, etc, etc.

So I tells the missus to go back and stick the two fingers in. She says 'its ok for you. you are thick skinned'

I really want to help and stuff. But , ultimately, you just can't beat a 'FCK YOU' attitude

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

I just can't take any kinda bulltulip so I never shy away from confrontation. Over the years as a contractor dealing with pimps and clients it has never set me at a disadvantage, perhaps I do have a thick skin but, well just but.

I tend to just sort problems as they come along with 'colleagues' and it does make for an easier work life. It sure ain't bullying but I won't be intimidated and from day one when that precedent is set the problems just don't seem so much of a problem if that makes sense.

My personality is definitley suited to being a contractor, I wouldn't last two minutes as a permie and won't ever go down that road.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

I wish I was thicker skinned. I get upset if someone is short with me, or if I think I've upset someone. I tell myself I'm being an idiot, but it doesn't stop me having a sniffle in the ladies.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        I just can't take any kinda bulltulip so I never shy away from confrontation. Over the years as a contractor dealing with pimps and clients it has never set me at a disadvantage, perhaps I do have a thick skin but, well just but.

I tend to just sort problems as they come along with 'colleagues' and it does make for an easier work life. It sure ain't bullying but I won't be intimidated and from day one when that precedent is set the problems just don't seem so much of a problem if that makes sense.

My personality is definitley suited to being a contractor, I wouldn't last two minutes as a permie and won't ever go down that road.

I know what you mean. nip it in the bud
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

As a contractor, you have to be like a rhino - thick skinned and charge a lot

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            I wish I was thicker skinned. I get upset if someone is short with me, or if I think I've upset someone. I tell myself I'm being an idiot, but it doesn't stop me having a sniff in the ladies.
            Know what you mean, but it's a bugger if the seat drops on the back of your head

Comment

Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
              Know what you mean, but it's a bugger if the seat drops on the back of your head

Comment

some idiot had a pop at me today and copied in my boss, apparently 4 years to get a website up is a long time.

It took me a week to get the servers and configure them, the rest of the time was their supplier trying to get it past a security scan.

I told them politely.

Not quite sure why if they chose the vendor and the solution without putting it through the project process its my job to run round and fix their screw ups.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Nature of the beast. I'd say approx 50% of clients I've been at there's always been some office "joker"/big time charlie who tries to stitch up the new contractor (esp at client co's where they don't use them that much). Some of them you can see from the off, day one you know they are out to get you. Some are a bit gobby and some go a bit further, cc'ing the top boss/line manager with allegations of your errors is a usual trick.

Early on I learned to have a quiet "word", mano-a-mano and it usually works.

qh
                  Last edited by quackhandle; 13 May 2013, 20:47.
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Vicious circle

People who are thick skinned are generally norks because....

People are thick skinned aren't self aware enough to change so ....

People who are thick skinned are generally norks because....

People are thick skinned aren't self aware enough to change so ....

Ad infinitum.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X