• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SQL data generator

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SQL data generator

Morning men,

I need some random test data (customers, orders, etc) creating for a demo database asap.

Does anyone know of a 'SQL data generator script' I can 'download'.

With kind regards,

O

one day at a time

Characters (Transact SQL on MS SQL Server);

SQL Tools: t-sql random string generator

Numbers;

SQL SERVER – Random Number Generator Script – SQL Query | SQL Server Journey with SQL Authority

You'll have to adapt to whatever SQL database you're running.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

A google search has located:-

generatedata.com

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Characters (Transact SQL on MS SQL Server);

SQL Tools: t-sql random string generator

Numbers;

SQL SERVER – Random Number Generator Script – SQL Query | SQL Server Journey with SQL Authority

You'll have to adapt to whatever SQL database you're running.
        Cheers Mitch.
        one day at a time

Comment

SQL Data Generator - Data generator for MS SQL Server databases

14 day fully functional free trial.

PS. This should be in technical

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            SQL Data Generator - Data generator for MS SQL Server databases

14 day fully functional free trial.

PS. This should be in technical
            Great.

Many thanks.

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
              A google search has located:-

generatedata.com

I use that one quite often

Redgate do a paid data generator
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

The other way, for real simpletons like testers is to use Excel. Make a column for your customername, call him Mich1, then make another one underneath, Mich2. use the mouse and the little plus sign to make a whole column running through Mich3, Mich4 etc. Do the same for numbers. Then make a .csv and load into your DB using whatever loader is has, like SQL loader for oracle or BULK INSERT on SQL Server. How do I load text or csv file data into SQL Server?

This has the advantage that you can maintain test data in excel and add or change as necessary, and of course you don't need to be a real coder to do it.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

The other way, for real simpletons like testers is to use Excel. Make a column for your customername, call him Mich1, then make another one underneath, Mich2. use the mouse and the little plus sign to make a whole column running through Mich3, Mich4 etc. Do the same for numbers. Then make a .csv and load into your DB using whatever loader is has, like SQL loader for oracle or BULK INSERT on SQL Server. How do I load text or csv file data into SQL Server?

This has the advantage that you can maintain test data in excel and add or change as necessary, and of course you don't need to be a real coder to do it.
                  I did something similar by using Google I found csv and txt files containing old census data (US I think), so that gave me people names and address fields. PAF file gave me post codes. DOB, phone numbers is easy to generate with an Excel formula etc.

Once you have all the raw test data writing a script to import it in the right order is simple enough.

Comment

Sssshhhh!!! I keep client co in test data using this technique - if this gets out I'll lose my status as data-guru.

Although I use INSERT ALL and just copy/paste the spreadsheet into the PL/SQL Developer tool.

Comment

Working...
                    X