• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wednesday Latin Quiz

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday Latin Quiz

libertas quoniam nulli iam restat amanti:
    nullus liber erit, si quis amare volet.

Very true for married men!
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

That's crappy. I tried to cheat with Bing translate but it doesn't do Latin.

Will have to guess from "Very true for married men! "

Chances of getting some bum sex almost zero?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Freedom something something something?

Comment

Answer:

Since now no lover now remains free

he will have no freedom, if he would wish to love.

It's by a Roman poet called Propertius would wrote extensively in
        opposition to Augustus Caesars pro marriage laws and here is extolling the virtues of call girls who don't deprive a man of his liberty for their services.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
          Answer:

Since now no lover now remains free

he will have no freedom, if he would wish to love.

It's by a Roman poet called Propertius would wrote extensively in
          opposition to Augustus Caesars pro marriage laws and here is extolling the virtues of call girls who don't deprive a man of his liberty for their services.
          He was lucky not to be banished, as Ovid was for writing the same kind of poems. Augustus was keen to encourage marriage and offspring, which rich young people were increasingly trying to avoid as it meant more expense and less to spend on luxuries.

On one occasion he had a few dozen "knights" (upper class young men) summoned to his palace, and walked up and down the line haranguing them for not settling down and having children. "Murderers of your own posterity!", and indeed by the 4th century almost all the old upper class families from that time had died out.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            He was lucky not to be banished, as Ovid was for writing the same kind of poems. Augustus was keen to encourage marriage and offspring, which rich young people were increasingly trying to avoid as it meant more expense and less to spend on luxuries.
            Not sure I agree, Propertius died aprox 15BC, Ovid was banished in aprox 8AD. Propertius was also in the patronage of Augustus through Macaenas and his digs at the marriage reforms were likely to have been tolerated as Propertius had no political ambition or power. It also gives Augustus the chance to show that he was the restorer of a free republic. This does contrast with Cornelius Gallas, probably the father of Roman elegy, who was invited to commit suicide when he got above himself as prefect in Egypt. Also, Ovid was banished for a poem he had wrote seven years earlier, there is suggestions that he knew of some, or was associated with, intrigue involving Julia and Aggripa Postumus who were exiled at the same time.

Comment

I bet you write your test reports in Latin.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                I bet you write your test reports in Latin.
                It's one of my suggested process improvements!

Comment

Working...
                X