• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PM Questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PM Questions

Why the first question always seems to be about PMs engagements on that day, that he does not seem to answer straight anyway?

So all questions during PM time are actually supplementary to that first traditionary question about what he does that day?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      So all questions during PM time are actually supplementary to that first traditionary question about what he does that day?
      Generally yes. Its tradition. For PMQs (I may be slightly off on this). All original questions have to be submitted prior to save time. The questioner is then allowed a splementary question.
      To avoid giving the PM time to prepare the first questions are usualy about his diary and to avoid giving repetetive answers the PM refers to the answer he gave earlier.
      The second question is the sprung and the opposition hope to trip up the PM by catching him unprepared.

I hope that reads OK and is a decent explanation.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
        I hope that reads OK and is a decent explanation.
        This is the explanation I heard more than once, but it does not apply to the very very first question he gets - it seems always to be on his engagements on that day: the following proper questions are known to PM, apart from supplementary question to those proper question, but the very first question seems to be tradition of some kind as the answer to it is always the same.

Comment

Politicians....Straight questions/answers?
          Not on your life !

Comment

A friend of mine who, until recently was a senior civil servant told me that when the 'formal' questions are received (not just for PMQ's but for any minister), vast numbers of hours are expended by the minister's staff in trying to anticipate and concoct answers to any supplementary question which might arise.

If a supplementary for which a minister does not have a script is asked, then this is a major black mark for the people in his department.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              This is the explanation I heard more than once, but it does not apply to the very very first question he gets - it seems always to be on his engagements on that day: the following proper questions are known to PM, apart from supplementary question to those proper question, but the very first question seems to be tradition of some kind as the answer to it is always the same.
              Sorry, forgot to cover that bit. The first question is staged. Asking him about his diary, he then says it is published or can be seen or something. This then allows him to give the standard "I refer my honourable friend to the answer I gave earlier". It saves a lot of messing about with the questions.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankScribe
                A friend of mine who, until recently was a senior civil servant told me that when the 'formal' questions are received (not just for PMQ's but for any minister), vast numbers of hours are expended by the minister's staff in trying to anticipate and concoct answers to any supplementary question which might arise.

If a supplementary for which a minister does not have a script is asked, then this is a major black mark for the people in his department.
                Which proves.... who really runs the country.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankScribe

For most ministers the supplementary questions have to be related to the subject of the first question and for the portfolio. For PMQs they can be entirely random.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Unless you happen to be Andrew Robathan (Tory MP) who asked:

"Will the Prime Minister tell the House on how many occasions he has started an investigation under his ministerial code, and whether he thinks it appropriate that his Deputy Prime Minister should stay with an American business man—"

and Michael Martin (Speaker) replies:

"Order. This matter has been put before the Parliamentary Commissioner, and there will be no more discussion about it until the Parliamentary Commissioner has dealt with it."
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X